Join Africa's fastest growing career community!

Featured

How to make better decisions under pressure

Nothing tests your leadership capabilities like a crisis. You are expected to make decisions on the fly when stakes are high, outcomes are uncertain and time is limited.

Article Preview Image

Nothing tests your leadership capabilities like a crisis. You are expected to make decisions on the fly when stakes are high, outcomes are uncertain and time is limited.

Photo credit: Zack

Nothing tests your leadership capabilities like a crisis. You are expected to make decisions on the fly when stakes are high, outcomes are uncertain and time is limited. As you may have experienced, day to day activities or certain situations may become overwhelming making you feel pressured.

In his book, The Big Decision: A Story and Framework to Inspire and Empower Better Life Decisions, Dr. Friedland identified how difficult it could be to make good decisions when under pressure for both the young and the old. Decision-making is a process that needs to be understood in order to achieve effective decisions in your day to day lives. According to Dr. Friedland, the decision-making process entails the following steps:

1. Frame the Question

Bad decisions can be avoided by thinking through your decision. Ask yourself the basic questions such as do I have an alternative? What are the possible outcomes of my decision? How does my decision affect those around me?

2. Find your Answers

Questioning alone will not make you reach your best decision. Outline all the possible answers to your questions. Since you feel pressured and you are trying to avoid making bad decisions, you can meditate or go for a run to clear your mind.

3. Evaluate your decision

At this point, you may have already made your decision but still you are not sure whether it is the right decision. Ask yourself whether the rewards outweigh the risks or if it is the best decision in both the short-term and long-term. Once you are able to answer these questions, you will be certain of your decision.

4. Apply your Decision

If according to your evaluation that is the best decision that you can make, be brave to implement it, believing in your own decision-making process.

Go through the process from step one to ensure that you are not having second thoughts. In addition, you can also run your decision through another open minded person to ask for their opinion.

Written by

Kelvin Mokaya

Give a like!

0 Comments

Sign in to read comments and engage with the Fuzu community.

Login or Create a Free Account