Job verified by Fuzu
United Nations | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Administrative, clerical
- Experienced (senior worker)
- Full Time
he United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. UNON performs representation functions with permanent missions, the host government and governmental and non-governmental organizations in Nairobi. UNON supports programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
The position is in the Office of the Director, Division of Administrative Services (DAS) at the United Nations Office Nairobi (UNON). The position supports the Director in the planning, execution, monitoring and evaluation of the business functions of UNON. The position reports directly to the Director.
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Officer will contribute to the effective direction of the activities of DAS by providing direct support to the Director in the performance of his/her executive functions. The position is required to make sure that there is an orderly and transparent flow of information from the office of the Director to managers and staff at large and vice- versa. The focus is to create an environment where interested parties are kept abreast of developments at the executive level, where executive decisions are based on solid facts and where all DAS staff are able to contribute to, and enhance the work of the division.
1. Support the work of the Director in the area of management/administrative reform, including in the preparation, and coordination, of UNON inputs on global service delivery, restructuring, the simplification and streamlining of administrative processes and the implementation of ERP extensions:
- Initiates and coordinate meetings on the above within UNON/DAS and liaises with staff and management at UN headquarters and other Offices-Away-from-Headquarters (OAHs), the Office of the Director General (ODG) and other UNON divisions and services;
- Provides expert advice, researches, consults and prepares correspondence, proposals, comments, talking points and briefings relating to management and administrative reform issues for the Director, DAS and/or the Director General, UNON;
- Produces major/complex reports for management and handles specific policy and managerial issues assigned by the Director and discusses them with relevant parties (services & sections) and contributes to recommendations/actions to be taken.
2. Coordinates the preparation, management, monitoring and reporting of the annual work program for DAS.
- Leads, oversees and coordinates the delivery of work priorities and objectives, bring discrepancies to the attention of the Director and coordinate remedial action as appropriate;
- Monitors and controls change-management, infrastructure and other large scale UNON improvement projects and keeps the Director informed of the status of these projects;
- Serves as the DAS events coordinator and as the Director’s focal point for DAS support to the meetings and events of UNEP, UN-Habitat and other clients;
- Performs the function of Secretary to Service and Extended Chief’s meetings and coordinates meetings and consultation with the Nairobi Staff Union;
- Support the Director with senior level recruitments at the service-chief level within DAS.
3. Coordinates the acquisition, analysis and presentation of information relating to the management of DAS.
- Reviews post incumbency reports for purposes of vacancy management and staffing table control;
- Reviews training, travel and other cross-cutting budgetary allocations, prepares plans for the Director’s approval, identifies deviations from plans and proposes corrective measures;
- Establishes quality-control mechanisms, initiates and conducts studies to improve reporting systems and cost-effective utilization of resources and leads the implementation of multi-disciplinary projects related to administrative areas;
- Coordinates and supports the Director in communication with DAS staff and external constituencies;
- Represents the office as the primary ERP Security Liaison Officer (SLO) for UNON/DAS and supervises the work of secondary SLOs.
4. Performs other related duties as assigned.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Administrative, clericalSeniority
: Experienced (senior worker)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 2 yearsRequired skills
: Organize and manage recruitment campaigns; Change management; Programme management; Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E); Reporting; Research planning; Office administration, managementRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply