Administrative officer, P4
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 12 days left to apply for this job.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations System and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The overall objective of UNEP's Economy Division is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive. It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities. This position is located in Nairobi. It encompasses sub-functional specialities such as human resource administration, planning, programming/budgeting, and implementing, monitoring and evaluation of business functions. The Administrative Officer reports to the Chief, Administration Unit.
A. Human Resource Management:Required education
• Initiates and coordinates actions covering the entire span of human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, vacancies, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training, etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
• Provides expert advice with respect to conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations
• Represents the Department/Unit at Departmental Panels and appointment bodies.
• Reviews post incumbency reports for purposes of vacancy management and staffing table control.B. Budget and Finance
• Initiates and conducts studies to improve budget reporting systems and cost-effective utilization of program resources
• Monitors and controls budgetary allocations through regular reviews; drafts routine and ad hoc outputs; and provides effective monitoring reports and data. Identifies deviations from plans and proposes corrective measures
• Establishes and maintains a set of sound policies, procedures, standards and tools which are consistent with UN policy and practice in order to ensure proper accounting, financial management and control.C. General Administration
• Supervises a staff team and/or provide advice to others on human resource administration, financial administration and management information issues and practices to colleagues
• Produces major/complex reports for management
• Provides expert guidance and leadership to more junior staff.
• Performs other related duties as required, e.g., reviews of Secretariat offices and departments at headquarters/missions, operational travel programme, adequacy of departmental space requirements, and technology requirements
• Performs other related work as required.
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 7 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)