Job verified by Fuzu
UNHCR | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Assistant Human Resources Officer
- Bachelor's degree
- Human resources
- Basic level (worker)
- Full Time
Oh dear! This job has already closed. But don't worry, you can find other similar jobs from Fuzu.
Jobs similar to Assistant Human Resources OfficerTrainee – Recruitment
Summit Recruitment &Training
The Public Service Commission (Uganda)
Kenya Youth Board
Human Resources & Training Intern
Women Enterprise Fund
Jobs in Human resourcesEntry-Level jobsJobs located in Nairobi
The Assistant Human Resources Officer will be part of the HR team at the UNHCR Branch Office inNairobi and will function under the direct supervision of the Senior Human Resources Officer. Theincumbent will handle HR/personnel administration related activities in the Kenya operation. S/he willdirectly supervise general service staff and will provide coaching and guidance to other locally recruitedstaff responsible for the personnel administration and other HR related matters. S/he will support andassist the Senior Human Resources Officer in the process of staffing and budget reviews, recruitment andappointment of staff, performance management and staff welfare issues. The incumbent will act as theSecretary to the Regional Assignments Committee (RAC) and will be the back-up Learning Coordinator.S/he will coordinate HR and personnel related matters within the Branch Office as well as with the SubOfficein Kakuma and Dadaab, including the Field Office Alinjugur. The incumbent will have frequentcontacts with colleagues in the Personnel Administration & Payroll Section (PAPS), Assignments &Promotion Section (APS), Performance Management Unit (PMU), Career Management Section (CMS),Staff Health & Welfare Service (SHWS) and Global Learning Centre (GLC). He/she will also maintaincontact and close cooperation with other UN agencies in the country.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Human Resources
Management/Administration, Law or similar disciplines plus minimum 1 year of previousrelevant professional experience. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) or Doctorate degree(equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR administrative procedures and processes and exposure to provisionof support services in an international organization.
- Excellent knowledge of English; working knowledge of another UN language would be an asset.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Knowledge of UN/UNHCR field operational realities, especially in hardship duty stations.
- Field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations is an asset.High IT affinity and working experience of PeopleSoft/MSRP HR module, as well as with MSRPFinancial and travel modules; familiarity with Focus.Submission of Applications
This vacancy is open for qualified Kenyans only. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.IMPORTANT
Candidates who wish to be considered for this position should send their motivation letter and PersonalHistory Form (available at the following link: http://www.unhcr.org/ke/vacancies
to via postal mail
or hand delivered to UNHCR Branch Office for Kenya, Lynwood House, Waiyaki Way (opposite LionsPlace).Please quote the following Reference in your motivation letter: IVN/EVN/KEN/NBI/18/009
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- UNHCR recruits, contracts and deploys staff in Kenya operation to meet its current and futureoperational needs, adhering to the principles of the UNHCR People Strategy.
- The workforce in Kenya is well-informed of and understands the organisation’s humanresources policies and practices.
- UNHCR provides a healthy, safe and respectful working environment for its workforce in thecountry.
Responsibility (processes and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Provide input in the preparation of the annual operations programme review submissions, and in the reviewof the training needs of the staff, making appropriate proposals to meet identified needs.
- Advise and counsel staff members on their rights, obligations, benefits and entitlements in line withUN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations.
- Ensure timely advertising and filling of General Service and National Officer vacancies. Prepare submissionof cases for the review by the Regional Assignments Committee (RAC). Process recruitment, assignmentand reassignment of local staff for the country operation, in accordance with UN/UNHCR rules andprocedures.
- Conduct regular audit and verification of personnel records in the office, including audit of MSRP entriesinto HR module, as well as auditing of the attendance, overtime and leave records. Monitor maintenance ofthe daily tracking system to ensure accurate information is provided on staff and families in case ofemergency. Provide support, guidance and training to staff performing personnel administration and otherHR related functions.
- Brief newly-arrived international staff on related administrative formalities; process and follow up on theiraccreditations and other related documents, and arrange for their onward travel to the field office, ifapplicable.
- Supervise administration of UNHCR medical insurance plan for locally recruited staff. Assist staff anddependants in case of medical evacuation.
- Assist in HR related activities of the security evacuation plan, ensuring relocations/evacuations are managedand administered in line with the provisions of the UN Security Management System Policy.
- Maintain liaison with the support sections and divisions at headquarters, specifically with DHRM, on mattersrelated to the recruitment and personnel administration support, medical and other issues of staff welfare andsafety.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Enforce local compliance with the UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations, as well as with theperformance management system.
- Clear issuance and extension of contracts for locally recruited staff.
- Clear payments related to personnel issues such as settlement of travel claims, overtime claims,hazard pay, MIP reimbursements, medical and security evacuations, shipment costs.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Human resourcesSeniority
: Basic level (worker)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 12 monthsRequired skills
: Employee guidelines and onboarding; Human resource and personnel development; Organize and manage recruitment campaigns; Human resources information systems; Compensation and benefits; Employee contracts; Employee relations and consultationsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)