Job verified by Fuzu
UNHCR | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Assistant Livelihood Officer
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Project, program management
- Basic level (worker)
- Full Time
The Assistant Livelihoods Officer will support the Livelihoods Officer in the implementation andconsolidation of the Refugee Livelihoods Strategy. S/he will be involved in the implementation oflivelihoods programmes and explore new livelihoods opportunities.S/he should be proactive, explore new opportunities, and maintain effective coordination with national/ local Government counterparts and development / training institutions, as well as NGOs working inthe field of urban livelihoods. S/he will build close relations and undertake regular consultations withthe refugee communities.S/he will be supervised by the Livelihoods Officer, and work in close coordination with Protection andProgramme units.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate Degree (equivalent with a BA/BS) in Economics, Business Administration, Socio Economic Development, Financial Management or related field plus minimum of 1 year ofworking experience relevant to the function.
- Demonstrated experience in any of the thematic areas of financial services, employment creation,entrepreneurship, private sector development, local economic development, poverty reduction,agriculture, livestock, vocational and technical education and training.
- Knowledge of local institutions and local language.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Proven knowledge and familiarity with UNHCR’s Protection mandate and work.
- Demonstrated experience in private sector engagement and partnerships.
- Experience with UNHCR standards and indicators, and/or projects related to the sustainable developmentgoals.
- Networking skills with private and public sector institutions.
Experience with conducting relevant studies, including socio-economic assessments, livelihoodsmarket analysis.Submission of Applications
This vacancy is open for qualified Kenyans only. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.IMPORTANT
Candidates who wish to be considered for this position should send their motivation letter and Personal
History Form (available at the following link: http://www.unhcr.org/ke/vacanciesto:
or hand delivered to UNHCR Branch Office for Kenya, Lynwood House, Waiyaki Way (opposite Lions
Place).Please quote the following Reference in your motivation letter: IVN/EVN/KEN/NBI/18/008
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- UNHCR’s country operation has sufficient support in the field of “livelihood’’ thus better ableto meet the needs of persons of concern.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Contribute to the development, implementation and monitoring of the livelihoods and economic inclusionstrategies and related programs in the operation.
- Support and provide technical guidance to the processes of selecting and vetting of livelihoodsImplementing Partners.
- Provide technical assistance to field offices and Implementing Partners to ensure that urban and campbased economic inclusion strategies are in line with UNHCR policies, mainstreaming gender, age anddiversity and that they empower refugees and host communities through skills development, access tofinance, self and wage employment opportunities.
- Provide technical inputs into urban and camp based livelihoods programming processes and planning
within the framework of UNHCR’s multi-year strategy, UNHCR’s global Livelihoods (EconomicInclusion) Strategy and CRRF initiatives
- Support the implementation of economic inclusion activities with field offices and Implementing Partnersto ensure that interventions are relevant, effective and sustainable.
- Identify innovative initiatives or programs related to livelihoods and economic inclusion at the nationallevel that can be leveraged to support refugees and host communities.
- Contribute to quality control of livelihoods programming by identifying implementation risks andproviding recommendations to mitigate challenges.
- Participate in the identification of potential strategic partnerships in the area of economic inclusion thatcould complement UNHCR’s urban and camp based initiatives on livelihoods and economic inclusionwith a focus on climate smart Agriculture, artisanal sector, financial services, self and wage employment,
research and data, etc.
- Keep track of urban and camp based livelihoods programs and monitor external and internal changes inthe operational context that may positively and negatively influence economic inclusion trends.
- Participate in market feasibility studies, needs assessments and wealth-ranking surveys with relevantstakeholders.
- Support the Livelihoods Officer with the organization, coordination and hosting of workshops, meetings,training programs, group discussions, and other participatory assessments in line with specific objectivesand economic inclusion programs. Coordinate the Livelihoods working group involving nationalgovernment, UN agencies, donors, development actors, other experts and implementing partners
- Monitor and submit regular results - based reports on the progress of livelihoods and economic inclusionprograms, including success stories.
- Perform any other related duties as required.Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Liaise and maintain contacts with partners both in public, private and NGO sectors relating tolivelihoods activities.
- Provide input and make recommendations for livelihoods programming processes and planning
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Project, program managementSeniority
: Basic level (worker)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 12 monthsRequired skills
: Project management; Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E); Partnerships; Technical support; Training program planning; Project implementationRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply