Job verified by Fuzu
United Nations | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Associate Finance and Budget Officer
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Accounting, finance, banking, insurance
- Basic level (worker)
- Full Time
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) is an international agreement between States. Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival (www.cites.org). The Monitoring the Illegal Killing of Elephants (MIKE) programme incorporates the system established by CITES Conference of the Parties to monitor levels of illegal killing of elephants at more than 80 conservation areas spread across 47 elephant range States in Africa and Asia, with the goal of providing reliable information and building capacity for the management of elephant populations. This position is in the CITES Secretariat, administered by UN Environment and is located at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the MIKE Coordinator of the CITES Secretaria
1. Support the administration of the unit's human resource activities: recruitment (including consultants), performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training, staffing table etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
2. Assist in developing the unit's work program and budget; analyse inputs and formulate resource allocations by work program, or business processes.
3. Coordinate activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
4. Monitor budget/work program with respect to Headquarters' budget, trust funds and grants, on a regular basis, and reallocates resources as necessary.
5. Support the implementation of procedures and systems for implementing the appropriate financial database.
6. Contribute to the development of budgetary guidelines for own unit.
7. Assist in the drafting, negotiation and oversight of legal instruments, such as memoranda of understanding, project cooperation agreements, small-scale funding agreements, UN
interagency agreements and individual contactor agreements.
8. Work with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; monitor and analyze specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and recommend corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identify and track follow-up actions.
9. Maintain office records, including inventory, correspondence and technical and administrative documentation.
10. Undertake actions related to procurement and logistics, organization and coordination of meetings and conferences, including the compilation, verification and distribution of
documents and other materials.
11. Perform other related administrative duties, as required (operational travel programme, monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services, physical
space planning and the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems).
12. Supervise support staff as required.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Accounting, finance, banking, insuranceSeniority
: Basic level (worker)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: noneRequired skills
: Budgeting, financial planning; Accounting; Bookkeeping; Financial analysis; Cash management; Financial reporting; Financial controlling; Accounting IT-systems (use of)Required languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply