Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 41 days left to apply for this job.
We’re looking for a Backend Engineer to design and implement core components of our financial platform and scale it to serve millions of users across the world. The technical scope of the project is broad and calls for technical expertise across a wide range of problem domains.
Detailed oriented - you are a proven developer who values clean and efficient code
Technology toolbox - you have all of the tools for development plus a few extras
Translator - you have experience working closely with product managers, cross-functional teams, and customers to translate requirements into technical design
Leader - you have the ability to keep pace with, and set pace for, your teammates. Able to learn and teach new technologies and solutions
Solutions Driven - experience thinking out loud to create the best solutions to complex, tricky problems, using the latest technical methodologies/processes
Preferred skills & experience:
- 4+ years experience working on backend software using modern languages and frameworks (Java, Scala, Python, Play, Django)
- Advanced degree in Computer Science and/or Math
- Expert proficiency in Agile development process
- Working knowledge in API development for mobile/web use
- Strong relational database experience (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL)
- Highly motivated and self disciplined
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals
- Excellent ability to prioritise and communication in a fast pace environment
Bonus: Experience in predictive analysis and machine learning
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. Millions of people have borrowed through Tala's smartphone app, which provides instant, personalised credit to underserved customers in East Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. Tala is backed by leading venture and impact investors including PayPal, Revolution Growth, IVP, and Lowercase Capital. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Dar Es Salaam, Mexico City, and Bangalore.
- You will design and implement product features as defined in the roadmap
- You will own and maintain substantial portions of the backend infrastructure
- The opportunity to code using cutting-edge platforms and interact with our data science team
- You will mentor and grow junior engineers on best practices and code efficiency
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)