Business Development Associate
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 8 days left to apply for this job.
The Innovation Village is Uganda’s Launchpad for leading Innovators and entrepreneurs. We are building an entire ecosystem of entrepreneurs and innovators in what is growing to become a business solutions provider for our biggest challenges or opportunities. From helping entrepreneurs launch and grow high-impact ventures to attracting regional and global opportunities, our ecosystem approach converges multiple partners including public, private, academia, research and civil society as one force for good.Collectively, we are a convergence of Network, Talent, Capital and Physical Assets leading Uganda and the region into the 4th Industrial revolution. Our core strategy is designed to support economic growth and job creation in Africa in a commercially sustainable way, with the vision of deepening the application of technology in social-economic transformation.Our mission
2025 train 9000 artisans in vocational skilling and apprenticeship skills,8160
are connected to the large market,5146 new jobs created employing over 5 youths
and women at the refugee settlement camp.
ABOUT KUMI KUMI
million refugees in Uganda have been forced from their homes by war, internal
conflicts, drought or poor economies. Across many of these refugees’
settlements “self-reliance strategies,” have been developed and research shows
that both refugees and the host communities benefit from these approaches.
Refugees have established businesses many of which trade with and employ host
nationals .unfortunately, most of the products made in these settlements areas
hardly find their way to larger markets thus low revenues. Kumi Kumi is an
online marketplace for premium handmade artisan products by refugee
entrepreneurs, to the regional and global markets. we aim at enhancing refugee
livelihoods through global market linkages and financial inclusion. Revenue
earned is redistributed back to the entrepreneurs directly supporting their
businesses and livelihood.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is a full-time senior role as part of the Kumi
Kumi team and you will report t the Kumi Kumi lead at our Headquarters TIV in
Ntinda Shopping Complex. As a Business development manager, you will be
concerned with improving and growing Kumi Kumi by fostering and developing relationships with customers, suppliers
and other partners. You will work to improve the profitability of Kumi Kumi
through careful strategic planning and positioning in the appropriate markets,
you will work to enhance the operation of the business, positions, or
reputation in some way. If you’re an active
listener, with compelling sales personality, motivated to improve business
revenue, initiate and close new business leads, this role is for you, Here is
what you will do…..
- As the face of the Kumi
Kumi, you will help in building the brand of the
company in the industry, vendor and retaining relationships with the customer
- Carry out market research through industry contacts, publications,
trade events, news to identify ideas for growth.
- Reach out directly or through partners to target prospective
- Filter out high potential deals by analyzing Kumi Kumi business strategies,
opportunity requirements / pre-requisites / financials, and internal priorities.
- Design the best negotiating strategies by considering the risks
and rewards, and keeping in mind the counter-parties’ preferences & goals.
- Lead the negotiation to close the deal and draw in resources from
within the company to make it happen.
- Manage all contractual requirements, RFP’S, tenders, procurement
bids and align the end result with the company’s internal operations and
- Having an in-depth knowledge of business products and value
- Identify new business opportunities - including new markets,
growth areas, trends, customers, products and services.
- Researching business opportunities and viable income streams
- Following industry trends locally and internationally
- Reporting on successes and areas needing improvements
the needs of your customers and be able to respond effectively with a plan of
how to meet these
strategically - seeing the bigger picture and setting aims and objectives in
order to develop and improve the business
strategically - carrying out necessary planning in order to implement
- Draw up
client contracts - depending on the size of the company, this task may be
completed by someone else or agreements may not be as formal
- Have a
good understanding of the businesses' products or services and be able to
advise others about them.
- 3+ years of experience in marketing and sales
- You need a degree in either Business Development, Marketing,
Economics or Finance.
- Tenacity and drive to seek new business and meet or exceed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - needed for
communicating with a wide range of people, both internally and externally
- Initiative and good decision-making skills
- Good networking and organization skills
- The ability to think strategically
- The ability to analyze sales figures and write reports
- Initiative and the confidence to start things from scratch
to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty.
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 3 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Please have a scan or photo of these documents ready when you start the application:Self-prepared CV file
- the employer wants to see a CV that you have prepared yourself