Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 38 days left to apply for this job.
WHO WE ARE
M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of "pay-as-you-go" energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 500,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan. Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage "credits" for Ksh 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting. After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments. This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company's proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPANET.
As of January, 2016 M-KOPA employs over 1000 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognized for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT. To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs. The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
The BI Analyst uses M-KOPA’s strong internal data resources to uncover and share insights and inform business decisions throughout the company. The Analyst combines technical skills, creativity, and business acumen to improve our understanding of the company, produce operational improvements, and increase transparency and accountability. Analytic findings and recommendations are communicated clearly and concisely to the business, with follow-on support to ensure the proper measuring and evaluation.
* Proactively identify opportunities where analysis can drive to valuable business results
* Collect user requirements on key analytic/reporting needs from key business stakeholders
*Query data from various internal and external databases using database languages such as SQL and U-SQL
* Clean, interpret, and analyze data using statistical techniques
* Build models, analysis, and transformations on internal data using Excel, SQL and R
* Test and QA code to ensure high-quality analysis
* Design extremely user-friendly, clear, and impactful presentations of analytic findings
* Work together with the business to ensure we’re enabling data-driven decision making on the most important business questions
* Train stakeholders throughout the business to improve data fluency
* Improve and streamline technical and business processes
* BS in Statistics, Data Mining, Computer Science, Economics, or related field
* Technical training in Data Analytics, Data Science, or Data Management preferred
Experience: 3+ years as a BI Analyst
Knowledge / Skills:
* Great analytical and data skills
* Ability to quickly understand key value drivers in various departments of the business
* Strong visual communication and design skills
* Comfort operating as part of a fast moving, dynamic team
* Ability to communicate technical details to broader stakeholders
* Advanced SQL required; experience with statistical software (e.g., R) and programming languages (e.g., Python) a plus
* Experience developing in Power BI (or a similar reporting technology)
* Meticulousness to develop error-free, high-quality analyses
* Keen business sense and comfort working hand-in-hand with senior executives
Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.