Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 8 days left to apply for this job.
WHO WE ARE
M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of "pay-as-you-go" energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 500,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use instalment plan. Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage "credits" for Ksh 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting. After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments. This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company's proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPANET.
As of January, 2016 M-KOPA employs over 1000 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT. To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs. The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
The BI Developer will be responsible for developing self-service reporting and analytics tools, primarily in Power BI. The individual will work hand-in-hand with the Product Manager and Business Owner to collect user requirements, design dashboards and reports, query data from internal databases and use SQL, R, and DAX to develop the output. The Developer will also be responsible for ensuring user uptake through frequent trainings, UAT, and timely updates.
* Collect User Requirements on key analytic/reporting needs from key business stakeholders
* Design extremely user-friendly, clear, and impactful new self-service tools for users throughout the business (e.g., Sales, Finance, Operations)
* Query data from various internal and external databases
* Build models, analysis, and transformations on internal data
* Develop self-service tools using SQL, R, and DAX
* UAT self-service tools to ensure high quality, minimal bugs
* Operate according to Agile methodology to ensure timely, transparent delivery of products
* Work hand-in-hand with the business to ensure that self-service tools meet needs, enable data-driven decision making
* Train various senior stakeholders on using self-service tools
* Update self-service tools to meet changing needs of the business
* Run trainings on SQL, R, and DAX for BI team in order to build internal capabilities
* BS in Statistics, Data Mining, Computer Science, Economics, or related field
* Technical training in Data Science, Data Analytics, and Data Management preferred
Experience: 2+ years as a BI Developer, preferably with experience in Power BI
Knowledge / Skills:
* Experience developing data tools using Agile methodology
* Ability to quickly understand key value drivers in various departments of the business
* Strong visual communication and design skills
* Comfort operating as part of a fast moving, dynamic team
* Ability to communicate technical details to broader stakeholders
* Advanced SQL, R, Excel required; DAX, Python a plus
* Experience developing in Power BI a plus
* Meticulousness to develop error-free, high-quality analyses
* Keen business sense and comfort working hand-in-hand with senior executives
Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.