Job verified by Fuzu
United Nations | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Chief of Section, Language Services
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Media, communications, languages
- Senior manager (department head)
- Full Time
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org). This post is located in the Translation and Editorial Section within the Division of Conference Services (DCS).
Within delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the Chief, Division of Conference Services, the incumbent will be responsible for the day-to-day operation as well as the long-term planning of the Translation and Editorial Section;
- Direct and control the work programme of the Section to ensure the timely issuance in the language concerned of documents and publications for all United Nations bodies as required.
- Make recommendations on policy, administrative and operational matters of the Section.
- Organize all activities of the Section to ensure maximum efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
- Formulate and develop guidelines, instructions and priorities governing translation, revision, report-writing and terminology work of the Section; and prepare internal information notes on work procedures.
- Screen applications from and evaluate potential freelance staff and contractors, and prepare requests for selection. Carry out programmatic/management and administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Section, including evaluation of staff performance (ePAS). Plan and oversee the daily programming of work and making arrangements that may be necessitated by an emergency or unforeseen demand on the capacity of the Section.
- Make long-term and short-term work projections based on the calendar of conferences, bearing in mind the capacity of the Section and prepare inputs for the work programme of the Division, determining priorities and requesting resources for completion of outputs and their timely delivery.
- Establish and/or advise on training requirements to ensure staff development at all levels and meet the requirements of the Section.
- Select papers for examinations, marks scripts, establish pass lists, participate in examination boards and interviews, to ensure appropriate recruitment.
- Serve as the final arbiter on all technical problems connected with Section.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Media, communications, languagesSeniority
: Senior manager (department head)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 10 yearsRequired skills
: Operative management; Policy drafting and development; Programme management; Training program planning; CommunicationRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply