Job verified by Fuzu
International Rescue Committee | Turkana, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Clinical Officer In- Charge of Health Posts
Click to apply
- Diploma, Associate's degree
- Medical, health
- Experienced (senior worker)
- Full Time
The clinical officer in charge of the health posts/clinics will be responsible for the overall coordination of health activities and supervision of the Clinical Officers and the staff in the Health posts and hospital. He /she will closely work and support the Health Manager in ensuring the routine services and management of the clinics are effectively provided at the Health posts/clinics in the program. He/She will work closely with the, Pharmacist, MCH nurses, Lab Technologist, PITC Nurse, Community Health Officers, Nutritionists and others in ensuring quality health services are provided to the beneficiaries. He/she will also provide support in the hospital as needed, doing ward rounds and ensuring coverage both day and night.
• Overall in charge of all the general clinical officers in all Health posts and in the hospital.
• Ensure effective supervision of Health post /clinic staff (National and refugee staff)
• Ensure complete and accurate inventory of drugs and medical supplies located at the clinics and monitor/supervise their usage.
• Work with the clinic in -charges to provide supplies needs and make trimester orders.
• Responsible for ensuring routine HIS health facility data is accurate, consistent and timely submitted to the HIS department.
• Conduct support supervision visits on a monthly basis in each clinic and share the report with action points/recommendations with the Health Manager, FC and TCs.
• Set Performance Objectives for personnel reporting to him/ her and monitor their performance, ie the clinical officers as well as conduct Performance evaluation periodically.
• Attend the monthly clinical services staff meeting and share updates
• Plan and manage staff leave and R&R plans ensuring adequate coverage
• Review the JDs for the incentive staffs working in the clinics.
• Hold monthly meetings with the clinic staffs and share the minutes with the Health Manager and Field Coordinator.
• Clinical assessment and prescription of treatment for all patients in the clinics and emergency/OPD.
• Refer chronic cases to the various special clinics
• Take part and properly cover weekends, arrange a rotation schedule with fellow clinical officers
• Conducts ward rounds in absence of the Medical Officer
• Properly document medical treatment on patients files
• Maintain an accurate and updated records keeping system in the health unit
• Carry out minor surgical procedures
• Attend to emergencies in ward in the absence of Medical Officer
• Attend and participate in the daily morning hospital handover meetings.
• Actively participate and regularly present in weekly continues medical education (CME) at the hospital.
• Handle disciplinary issues for the clinical staff with support from Health Manager and HR.
• Training of staff on job and theory sessions
Reporting and Coordination
• Ensure all patient records are properly documented in the patient files with all aspects of management being captured
• Ensure the weekly HIS reports are compiled and submitted on time.
• Conduct mortality audits for all deaths occurring in the pediatric and stabilization wards together with other staff working in the units and share the reports with the Health Manager on a monthly basis.
• Take lead in quality improvement at the health facilities and be part of (Quality Improvement Committee(QIC)
• Ensure accurate inventory records are maintained at the facilities.
Key Result Areas
• Ensure smooth running of the health post, providing supervision, support and guidance to all staff working at the Clinic.
• Ensure quality of care is maintained in management of patients
• Ensure that universal precautions and infection prevention guidelines are adhered to in the health facilities.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: TurkanaArea of work
: Medical, healthSeniority
: Experienced (senior worker)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Diploma, Associate's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 3 yearsRequired skills
: Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E); Human resource and personnel development; Reporting; Patient care; Programme management; Project implementation; Public healthRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply