The Innovation Village Kampala, Uganda
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 3 days left to apply for this job.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The community Lead is responsible for providing stewardship for the community department in the main areas of focus namely; Community programs, Business development, and Memberships. You are to lead programmatic and operational management, oversee the development & implementation of strategic plans, provide guidance & direction to the community team to deliver on scale and impact of The Innovation Village satellite locations.
You will be required to set up and continuously improve the community department by building structures/systems, tools, and a team to devise & implement long-term strategies for TIV locations. You will work directly with the COO and other departmental leads while optimizing HQ resources to achieve the business objectives
The Community Lead champions TIV’s mission to build a community of high growth startups while connecting them to the network, resources, and community they need to scale. You are responsible for operational excellence and member experience, and extending our services to the community within and beyond our walls.
- You have experience managing people and managing results and know-how to effectively support the performance of each team member
- You have managed team leaders before, enabling them to get desired results through and with their teams
- You have managed multiple programs
- You communicate effectively locally and internationally to a variety of stakeholders
- You thrive in and can help others manage and learn from uncertainty and setbacks
- You describe yourself as a self-starter that’s excited to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- You have managed budgets before and you have an eye for budget variance
- Passionate about building things (teams, companies, people)
- Willing to get your hands dirty - we’re a small but mighty team and need people with the ability to roll up their sleeves and work side-by-side with their team to get it done
- Great at multi-tasking and prioritizing
- Stellar networking skills and the ability to make smart partnerships happen
- Entrepreneurial DNA
- Demonstrated ability to maintain calm and good judgment in a fast-paced & dynamic environment
- Kaizen! (constantly improving yourself and your peers)
- 5+ years of experience in operations and sales management; startup experience preferred
Ownership and initiative
Innovation and agility
Drive for results
Thinking and problem analysis
Resilience and resourcefulness
Communication and influencing
KEY RESULT AREAS
- Develop and oversee the implementation of TIV’s community strategic and operational plans in Liaison with the Team lead and other departmental leads.
- Act as a focal point for other departmental outreaches to the regions, ensure proper communication channels to regional managers, and systematic rollout of activities.
- Define key program and business targets for the regions emphasizing deliverables for each business region.
- Represent the TIV community interests, needs, and opinions at the national level to internal and external bodies by keeping abreast with the regional state of affairs and the community’s status at all times.
- Lead, maintain, and build trusted partnerships & relationships with local NGOs and other business entities that would support to deliver the company’s goal.
- Translate Community strategy into actionable goals, targets, and deliverables for performance and growth helping to implement regional goal setting, performance management, and annual Planning.
- Support people and talent lead to spell out hiring needs for Community and ensure that an effective performance management system is in place for Community, including setting clear expectations, conducting regular performance reviews with developmental feedback, ensuring that staff development needs are identified, and facilitating staff training and development opportunities.
- Set the direction for the community team to execute their tasks and achieve their targets.
- Manage regional program operations in a manner consistent with the mission, vision, and values of TIV and in compliance with the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Conceptualize the company’s Theory of Change and apply it to the work processes involved.
- Prepare regular progress reports to update TIV management, donors, the board of directors, and the rest of the ecosystem players that need the reports.
- Steer program development for the regions to align with the community needs in conjunction with the regional managers
- Lead the review and refinement of partnership arrangements with local partners and identify appropriate new funding and partnership opportunities within the community to help ensure the sustainability of programs within the regions
- Support the realization of programs from various donors and areas of support at the national level to tie into the company’s objective to grow the entrepreneur ecosystem.
- Lead and ensure high-quality program planning and implementation, including community engagement and participation from staff.
- Oversee the development of monitoring and evaluation frameworks, and undertake program audits or donor audits as required.
- Lead the functionality of the Innovation Village business plan and support in the customization of the regional plans to fit into the company’s business strategy.
- With the programs, the division makes financial projections for the regions.
- Support the growth and development of business units of each of the regions representing the products and services delivered and produced from the communities.
- Constructively challenge, input, and maximize value in key business areas and drive exceptional business performance for the regions.
- Custodian of key strategic relationships that play a central role in ensuring the business objectives are met and business positions are understood and upheld.
- Manage reputation and business risk.
- Oversee product development from the regions and ensure proper follow up, sales, and marketing in liaison with MOTIV.
- Support finance department to maximally utilize the real estate component of the business in each of the regions.
- Create value for the community by ensuring that the programs, events, and offerings being implemented in the regional locations answer to the needs of the common entrepreneur.
- Deploy systems that can synchronize events across the regions while optimizing and maximizing their effectiveness to the community.
- Oversee & maximize community events ensuring goals are met and event spaces are optimized and occupied to the highest degree member enrichment events and revenue-generating opportunities
- Guide the discovery and onboarding of new communities into the TIV regional spaces maximizing the best possible outcome of these communities for the benefit of either party.
- Oversee the planning and deployment of the membership strategy to the entire company while building the Innovation Village reputation through outreach and business development
- Lead the design and implementation of the Innovation Village program framework across the regions and ensure maximum use of its components by the community members.
- Champion the delivery of community activities for the regions that are the answer to the vision of the village and maintains partnerships with local stakeholders such as academia, CBOs, NGOs, government and private sector
Job RequirementsRequired education: Bachelor's degree
Required relevant work experience: 5 years
Required languages: English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Please have a scan or photo of these documents ready when you start the application:Self-prepared CV file - the employer wants to see a CV that you have prepared yourself
Other Jobs at The Innovation Village
Community Programs Associate
The Innovation Village / Kampala
The Innovation Village / Kampala
Learning Partnerships Lead
Nairobi / Fuzu Ltd
Project Manager, Tech for Development
Nairobi / Tony Blair Institute Global
Nakuru / County Government of Nakuru
Nairobi / Summit Recruitment & Search
Uganda / International Rescue Committee