Job verified by Fuzu
Relief International | Uganda | Log in or register to see the closing date
- Post-graduate education
- General management, leadership
- Executive (director)
- Full Time
Oh dear! This job has already closed. But don't worry, you can find other similar jobs from Fuzu.
Jobs similar to Country Director-UgandaExecutive Director
National Director – Roster-Uganda
Country Director, Uganda
Innovation for Poverty Action
Jobs in General management, leadershipSenior jobsJobs located in Uganda
This is a unique opportunity to relaunch a country program which first began 8 years ago on a small scale. During the first year, responsibilities include coordinating with humanitarian actors and donors to mobilize resources, and managing the scale up of a humanitarian response related to two different inflows of refugees from South Sudan and DRC. The successful candidate will provide day to day operational support, mentoring and strategic direction to the Uganda country program under the guidance and supervision of the Africa Regional Director. He or she will be responsible for identifying needs and resources and elaborating program plans and proposals in line with Relief International national and global priorities, donor priorities, and in line with identified gaps in the overall response at national and district levels.
It will be important to work simultaneously at strategic and operational levels. The country director will play a significant role in program and proposal development, taking the lead in representing the organization to donors, obtaining funding, and identifying and pursuing new program opportunities. The post-holder will also manage the mobilization and effective scale up of innovative emergency and development programs, supervise program and support function staff, and ensure that all relevant RI policies and procedures with respect to HR, safety and security, code of conduct, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures are in place, implemented and adhered to. A large part of the role will involve linking the initial response to longer-term recovery and development programming with a view to investing in promoting sustainable livelihoods.
The CD will report to the Regional Director, and will be based in Kampala, Uganda, with significant travel to the north (Moyo and neighboring districts) and also the southwest.
Emergency Response Planning and Resource Mobilization
• In coordination with the country team and Regional Director, lead all aspects of emergency response, including: mobilizing initial response plans and activities; internal and external inter-agency coordination, networking with donors and authorities, overseeing emergency assessments, leading the design and drafting of proposals, and resourcing and allocation of in-country staff and assets as appropriate.
• Recruit and provide timely and expert advice to emergency response team on implementation of various components of the emergency response programs.
• Lead the process of developing immediate and longer-term response plans, ensuring that RI’s response meets immediate humanitarian needs and strategically positions RI for longer-term program funding opportunities.
• Pro-actively ensure immediate and effective direct communications and networking with donors that produces actionable and timely business intelligence.
• In collaboration with in country and regional program staff, lead and ensure that preparation of funding proposals are of the highest quality and closely responsive to response needs and donor requirements
• As needed personally draft entire, or substantial parts of, funding proposals and budgets
• Track funding and program trends to understand specific donor priorities and resources.
• Initiate, establish and cultivate relationships with peers and with new donors. Negotiation with peer agencies and donors of participation in relevant consortia will form a significant part of the program development responsibilities of this role.
• Actively identify and pro-actively pursue new opportunities for program growth and start-up, in coordination with relevant country, regional and global support office Program Development, Grants and Program staff.
• Map peer agencies / other actors in the response, and assess other humanitarian actor's activities to identify geographic or sector gaps in the Uganda response.
• In close collaboration with regional and global support office management, participate in negotiation of contracts and agreements with donors, ensuring both programmatic and financial relevance.
• Identify, and where appropriate, initiate and maintain program partnerships with external agencies.
• Plan and supervise needs assessments and data collection in support of program design.
Emergency Response Program Management
• Assume overall management and oversight of emergency response in collaboration with the country response team and Humanitarian / Regional Director.
• Have oversight over the development of 6-24 month response strategy and plans and corresponding master budgets for the response
• Take overall leadership on the implementation and monitoring of program plans and budgets, keeping relevant stakeholders informed and ensuring any necessary corrective actions are taken in order to ensure activities are delivered on time and to prevent under or over spending on agreed budgets.
• Once secured, manage multiple grants (across multiple sectors), ensuring strict compliance of program activities with RI national and global policies and procedures and with relevant donor regulations and agreements, SPHERE guidelines and the NGO code of conduct.
• Establish project monitoring plans and systems for identifying and tracking the indicators and develop processes/procedures and forms to support monitoring, timely implementation and inform learning.
• In coordination with programs staff ensure the preparation of timely program and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal RI requirements and any relevant donor requirements.
• Ensure optimal safety and security management procedures and practices are in place for the emergency response program and continually monitor the safety and security situation, adapting staff safety and security procedures accordingly in collaboration and cooperation with any relevant security staff.
• Oversee effective functioning of logistics systems to procure, store and distribute stock, supplies and services for the timely delivery of project objectives.
• Ensure strong accountability to beneficiaries.
Personnel Management and Development
• Plan, identify and resource appropriate and effective structure & staffing needs for entire response (including ensuring that personnel policies are in accordance with national laws)
• Act as a Point of Contact for Child Protection, Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Harassment, and Code of Conduct policies, and ensure staff and beneficiaries are oriented on reporting misconduct mechanisms.
• Oversee the development & implementation of staff wellbeing (policy) and ensure appropriate staff wellbeing and R&R policy and processes in place, where applicable.
• Ensure that capacity building plans and performance management systems are in place to develop the requisite competencies in staff to ensure ongoing sustainability and quality of response into recovery phase.
• Coach and mentor international staff and national level counterparts and link in to wider organizational talent development mechanisms.
• Represent RI’s emergency response on a national, regional and international level to donors, partners, relevant government bodies, the media and members of the humanitarian community.
• Help shape broader sector strategies through influence and leadership within inter-agency coordination forums.
• Regularly undertake high-level representation and advocacy with governmental and non-governmental partners and officials, including UN and coordinating bodies, as well as donor representatives.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: PermanentJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: UgandaArea of work
: General management, leadershipSeniority
: Executive (director)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 7 yearsRequired skills
: Negotiation; Budgeting, financial planning; Business strategy; Operative management; Talent management and planning; Project implementationRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)