WHO WE ARE
M-KOPA is the world’s leading ‘pay-as-you-go’ energy provider to off grid homes. We’ve developed a better way to provide affordable, safe and clean energy to millions of people. It was the first company to launch a SIM-enabled pay-as-you-go solar system anywhere in the world. M-KOPA is now one of the fastest growing power providers in Africa, connecting solar to 500 new homes each day. We partner with leading technology and distribution companies operating across Africa, including Safaricom, Vodacom and Microsoft. They share our commitment to transforming lives through innovation and enterprise.
Thanks to the sun’s rays and mobile technology, our customers can light up their homes, charge their phones and tune into radio and TV. They can do all this at the flick of a switch and for less than they used to spend on kerosene. Every night, hundreds of thousands of homes and 2.5 million people in East Africa are using an M-KOPA Solar home system.
M-KOPA gives you a lot more light, for less, with our affordable annual payment plan. All you need is a deposit of $30 followed by 400 daily payments of 50 cents, which is paid conveniently by mobile money. Each battery-powered 8W system comes with three lights, mobile phone-charging, and a solar powered radio. Customers can now also opt for a 20W system with digital TV. After completing the initial one-year payment plan, customers can also get more cost-effective financing for a range of productive assets. These include more lights, solar TVs, energy-efficient cooking stoves, internet-enabled smartphones, fertilizer and water storage tanks.
We sell directly to our customers through a network of 100 service centers and over 1,500 agents spanning Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. We’ve invested in an industry-leading 24/7 customer care operation.
In June 2017, M-KOPA was named on MIT Technology Review’s 2017 list of 50 Smartest Companies. In March 2016, M-KOPA emerged boldest at the Financial Times Arcelor Mittal – Boldness In Business Awards in the developing markets category. In February 2016, M-KOPA was recognized as the Best Mobile Innovation for Emerging Markets at the Global Mobile Awards. In 2015, M-KOPA was recognized by Fortune Magazine as one of the Top 50 Companies Changing the World and won the Zayed Future Energy Prize. MKOPA has also won the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Pioneer Award and 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA is backed by leading growth-stage investors including:
- The CDC group - UK’s development Finance Institution that has invested in 1,245 businesses throughout Africa and South Asia. They were founded in 1948, making them the world's oldest DFI.
- Generation Investment Management LLP (GIM) - A London-based investment management firm with over $10bn assets under management and an investment style that focuses on both commercial and sustainability factors. Generation was founded in 2004 by former US Vice President Al Gore and former Goldman Sachs Asset Management CEO David Blood.
- Stanbic Bank – One of the leading financial services organizations that aims to be the leading corporate and investment banking business in, for and across Africa.
M-KOPA is seeking to hire a Credit Analyst
who will provide analysis, reporting, insights and communications regarding credit performance of the company’s portfolio, customers, and products and services. This includes the preparation reports used internally and by external stakeholders. In liaison with the Credit Manager, provide key insights to influence credit behaviour and performance.
- Provide high quality analysis (through tools including SQL, statistical software, Excel, PowerBi, and computer science models) to inform management on credit performance of the portfolio, products and customers.
- Contribute to the development of reports to key stakeholders including senior management, the board of directors and investors, including graphical analysis, PowerPoint presentations, and verbal and written communications.
- Design and implement experiments/initiatives geared towards improving and maintaining a healthy credit performance across M-KOPA’s customer base, this includes but not limited to performing statistical and quantitative analyses on datasets to identify root causes of observed risk trends
- Work on the entire product development lifecycle from ideas generation, design, development, and validation, leading up to launch
- Contribute to the development, documentation and maintenance of credit and financial models to be used by the business, such models include loss forecasting, Probability of Default, Exposure at Default, and Loss Given Default models among other models
- Monitor and report on key performance metrics on M-KOPA’s core products as well as development of new tools and capabilities to perform portfolio construction or analytics independently, including the use of statistical and machine learning techniques
- Execute work in coordination with other departments regarding credit-related communications
- Collaborate with the Data/Tech Team to improve data accuracy and reliability for reporting
- Strong data or financial analytical skills to effectively review and report on credit performance metrics
- Interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with and manage business expectations with key stakeholders
- A positive, learning-oriented attitude and capacity for self-empowerment
- Possession of a University degree preferably in a quantitative field such as Economics/Econometrics, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or Finance (Financial Engineering, Finance Theory, or Computational Finance) or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- At least two years of strong quantitative experience with loss forecasting, default management and credit risk modeling to include models that produce Probability of Default, Exposure at Default, and Loss Given Default
- Advanced knowledge and demonstrated proficiency of data analysis in at least one programming language (Python, Matlab, R, Ruby, C# or C++) in addition to skills to develop analysis queries and procedures in SQL or other business intelligence and analysis software applications for data segmentation, clustering, time series analysis, aggregation, and statistics
- Knowledge of lending business practices and products preferred
- Excellent documentation, projects management, oral and written communication and presentation skills including ability to distil complex ideas into simple explanations
- Previous experience in finance, business intelligence or consumer credit analysis preferred.
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and sound understanding of statistics and quantitative methods
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
Please have a scan or photo of these documents ready when you start the application: