Deputy Regional Director (DRD), East Africa
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)Nairobi, Kenya
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 4 days left to apply for this job.
- At a minimum, MPA, MPP, and Masters in a relevant subject area such as economics, statistics, public policy, development, etc. as well as at least 5 years of leadership and direct non-profit management experience
- Strong communication skills, ability to multi-task and a creative approach to work is required
- Ability to coordinate with members of other teams at a variety of levels.
- Ability to deal with a wide variety of cultures and personalities gracefully.
- Ability to present academic research in clear, simple language and to engage policymakers and donors in a discussion on using and scaling rigorous evidence
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, cope with change, and comfortably handle risk and uncertainty
- Experience advising others on how to approach complicated management, human resource, and logistical problems.
- Experience in an IPA Country Program, or similar organization, strongly preferred
- Experience working with donors, government agencies, policymakers, and researchers on evidence-based policymaking
- Passion for and experience with quantitative research and evidence-based policymaking
- Experience developing or managing research projects in multiple sectors, ideally randomized controlled trials, is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa is strongly preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently within the region.
The specific responsibilities of the DRD include:
Country Office Support and Oversight
Country Office Support and Oversight
- Provide oversight to the overall financial and operational health and sustainability of assigned country offices and across the region with a focus on risk management, financial management and delivery. The DRD will support across the region in the absence of the RD or while on vacation/travel.
- Advice and assist Country Offices on management issues, as required.
- Guide and oversee Country Programs with annual planning and oversee country teams throughout the year to ensure that plans are executed successfully.
- Collaborate with IPA’s functional teams and Global Operations Director to support and advise Country Programs on operational issues, roll-out and troubleshoot operational manuals and policies, and coordinate necessary internal staff to achieve results for Country Programs as needed.
- Line manage the Country Directors/ Country Managers of assigned countries and work with them to improve operational systems and financial sustainability
- Support across the region to improve operational systems and financial sustainability of country programs
- Where applicable, support the establishment of new country offices in the region
- Provide in person and or remote support to country offices during management transitions
- Identify and support potential research/ impact evaluation project opportunities with new partners and academic researchers to determine feasibility, assist in research design, and contribute to stronger cost-effective budgeting based on productivity assumptions in assigned countries.
- Oversee the development of new research projects in assigned Country Offices, ensuring that they align well with IPA’s mission and standards and that new projects are adequately planned and budgeted for; review project budgets before submission for accuracy and precision.
- Work with IPA’s Business Development team to fundraise for assigned Country Programs, targeting new funding sources opportunities, partnerships, and consortiums.
- Work with assigned Country Programs to refine their focus and grow their sector approach with key stakeholders and to set a corresponding agenda for policy engagement and project development.
- Promote high-quality research and support the roll-out of innovations in research methods in assigned countries
- Stay abreast of IPA/J-PAL evidence and support linkages between global and local research agendas
- Lead and oversee the implementation of IPAs Management Philosophy across assigned IPAs Country Offices
Job RequirementsRequired education: Post-graduate education
Required relevant work experience: 10 years
Required languages: English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) has no other jobs
UN Women: Regional Director, East and Southern Africa
Nairobi / UN Women
Deputy Regional Director Africa
Nairobi / Diakonia
Executive Director, Women's Rights
Nairobi / Human Rights Watch
Operations Manager - SafeBoda Food
Kampala / SafeBoda
Director, Board Services
Nairobi / Judicial Service Commision