Job verified by Fuzu
Boma Project | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Director for Research, Evaluation & Learning
- Post-graduate education
- Research, academy
- Executive (director)
- Full Time
- Provides leadership and expertise to design, develop and ensure a best in class Research, Evaluation and Learning practice.
- Refine and lead BOMA’s program research and learning strategy.
- Develop, co-fundraise for and deepen long-term partnerships with academics and researchers
- Work closely with the Kenya-based Monitoring & Evaluation Manager on key research and evaluation priorities
- In collaboration with the Kenya M&E Manager, coordinate and provide oversight of the activities of external evaluation firms and researchers
Please include cover letter and CV.
- We are recruiting for candidates to be based in Kenya as well as East Coast USA. Applicants to work in Kenya must be Kenyan citizens and currently reside in Kenya. Applicants to work in the US must have existing permission to work in the US if not US citizens and must already be based in the US.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please put “Director, Research, Evaluation & Learning” in the subject line.
Research, Evaluation and Learning:
• Refine and lead BOMA’s program research and learning strategy.
• Work closely with the Kenya-based Monitoring & Evaluation Manager on key research and evaluation priorities
• Provide strategic and technical guidance to the Kenya-based M&E Unit, reviewing and analyzing M&E activities and outputs, troubleshooting and advising on course corrections as needed.
• In collaboration with the Kenya M&E Manager, coordinate and provide oversight of the activities of external evaluation firms and researchers. This includes activities related to a quasi-experimental evaluation conducted by an outside firm and a randomized control trial developed in partnership with the University of California Davis and the International Livestock Research Institute.
• Be responsible for the collaborative development of BOMA’s learning agenda and lead efforts to disseminate knowledge both internally and externally.
• Design research projects, their methodology and metrics, and learning initiatives to fill knowledge gaps in BOMA’s approach and in the field.
• Ensure learning improves program design and implementation and feeds into adaptive management.
• Lead ongoing efforts to build monitoring, evaluation and research capacities of key staff.
• Steward the ongoing development and implementation of BOMA’s Salesforce-based Performance Insights system.
• Support software and database design efforts by staff and vendors.
• Analyze primary and secondary quantitative and qualitative data using software such as Stata.
• Produce clear, compelling, and methodologically robust reports, journal articles and policy briefs.
Program Design and Development:
• Lead or support the development of BOMA’s theories of change, results frameworks, log frames, indicators, monitor, evaluation, learning plans, etc. in both project design and proposal development processes.
• Develop and deepen long-term partnerships with academics and researchers.
• Represent BOMA before strategic partners and in relevant networks including the World Bank Graduation group, the Gates Foundation’s Women and Girls at the Center of Development learning cluster and Mercy Corps.
• Disseminate organizational research and learning through publications and conference presentations.
Key Performance Metrics include:
• Number and performance of active research projects
• Number and quality of learning products produced
• Improvements in M&E team capacity
• Number and quality of publications and presentations
• DREL will report to the Deputy Director.
• DREL will have a dotted line to the Kenya M&E Manager and is expected to develop a high value partnership with the Kenya-based M&E team.
• DREL will coordinate and collaborate extensively with the East Africa Regional Director, Kenya Program Manager, Regional Technical Advisor (all based in Kenya) as well as the Director of Programs & Innovation (based in Vermont) and the Deputy Director (based in Washington, DC).
General Informationtranslation missing: en.pages.job_page.salary_range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Research, academySeniority
: Executive (director)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 10 yearsRequired skills
: Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E); Programme management; Project implementation; Research planning; Qualitative methods; Quantitative methods; Data analysisRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)