Director of Programmes
Mawazo Institute Nairobi, Kenya
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 4 days left to apply for this job.
- Advanced degree in science, technology, engineering, maths (STEM) and/or the social sciences (MA required, PhD preferred).
- At least five years of experience working in a substantively similar role in a relevant professional context such as a non-profit/NGO, research institution, development agency, consultancy, or think tank.
- Experience working in African research or academic settings, including universities, research institutes, think tanks, consulting, international organisations, etc.
- Demonstrated competence in programme management, budgeting and financial management, and people management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English and proven ability in science communication, across a variety of audiences.
- Attention to detail and strong organisational, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- Curious individual with ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to seek assistance with projects as required
- An interest in continual learning and professional growth
- The ability to thrive in a role with a great deal of autonomy in an environment that is highly collaborative, communicative, and team-oriented.
- Commitment to the Mawazo Institute’s mission and values.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities• Oversee the continued development of Mawazo’s programmes, and its institutional presence within Africa, and beyond.
• Provide leadership, direction, and technical support to programme managers.
• Help identify future training and recruiting needs for a high performing team.
• Develop programme budgets in liaison with the various programme leads and oversee the monitoring of account expenditures.
• Cultivate productive partnerships, and build support for Mawazo’s programmes amongst key stakeholders including; academic institutions, research organisations, regional and national bodies, think tanks, civic organisations, government decision makers, and funders.
• Provide formal and informal mentorship to Mawazo beneficiaries who are young, African women in research and academia
• Develop management reports and share programme updates with the relevant internal and external stakeholders.
• Work closely with Communications teams to translate data, evidence and learning from Mawazo programmes into compelling narratives and action points that are shared with key stakeholders and the public.
• Work closely with the M&E team to review and analyse implementation and progress of the various programmes to ensure that Mawazo’s standards of excellence are maintained as well as to enable continued adaptive management.
• Work with the CEO and Fundraising Working Group to support fundraising and other resource mobilisation activities.
• Represent Mawazo at conferences and meetings with other NGOs, funders, experts, and consultants; ensure follow-up, as needed. This may include international or domestic travel.
Job RequirementsRequired education: Post-graduate education
Required relevant work experience: 5 years
Required languages: English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Mawazo Institute has no other jobs
Project Manager – Integrated Natural Resources Management, Agro-Pastoral Farmer Field Schools, Watershed Management and Sustainable Land Management
Uganda / International Institute of Rural Construction (IIRR)
Technical Advisor at Programme for Promotion of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship in Kenya
Nairobi / GIZ KE
Head of Fragile Communities & States (Assistant Director) - FSD Africa
Nairobi / FSD Africa
Programme Manager – Africa Led Movement (ALM) Programme to End Female Genital Mutilation
Nairobi / Options Consultancy Services
Programme Manager (UPG/DIG)
Kampala / BRAC Uganda