The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services. This post is located in the English Language Unit within the Translation and Editorial Section of the Division of Conference Services (DCS), UNON, under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Unit. Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Editing texts of a specialized or technical nature for accuracy, clarity, cohesion and conformity with United Nations standards, policy and practice.
• Consulting with author departments and carrying out research to clarify ambiguities and rectify errors.
• Providing authors or others submitting documentation with information on specific aspects of editorial policy and practice and assisting them in the preparation of manuscripts.
• Providing guidance to contractual editors and translators with a view to refining their skills and performance and assisting them in solving problems which require specialized knowledge, linguistic insight and political judgement.
• Acting as a report-writer at United Nations meetings held in Nairobi and elsewhere.
• Standing in for the Chief of the Unit on request and performing other administrative duties within the Unit which are assigned to her/him.
• Performing other related duties as required.