Job verified by Fuzu
United Nations | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Engineering, architecture
- Expert (non-managerial)
- Full Time
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. UNON performs representation functions with permanent missions, the host government and governmental and non-governmental organizations in Nairobi. UNON supports programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org). This position is located within the Replacement of of Office Blocks A to J Project at UNON within Central Support Services (CSS), Division of Administrative Services (DAS).
- Applies commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in completing portions of larger projects related to the design, construction, or repair of buildings, waste disposal systems, , water treatment facilities, electrical power generation and distribution systems, environmental control systems, and other related structures and activities..
- Plans and designs specifications for projects.
- Conducts preliminary site investigations to obtain field data such as soil characteristics, drainage and other data required for building site selection.
- Prepares design layout for smaller or less complex portions of buildings and facilities.
- Develops technical data regarding materials, sizes, dimensions, and quantities and costs to be incorporated in formal specifications.
- Estimates costs of resource efficient retrofits of existing buildings, facilities and systems to determine feasibility of retrofits or replacement.
- Prepares construction and related documents, such as bills of quantities, drawings sufficient for tender out of construction works.
- Liaises with other engineers and facilities specialists responsible for related specialized phases to arrive at mutually satisfactory approaches to problems by exchanging and comparing data.
- Conducts investigations to develop improved designs and construction techniques.
- Produces cost data and estimates on engineering-related requirements of current and planned projects.
- Analyzes project proposals to ensure technical feasibility and to ensure that project objectives are attainable within prescribed resources.
- Prepares reports for management on progress and matters of a technical nature.
- Conducts research on development of new technical systems, and follow development to identify improved methods and equipment.
- Coordinates implementation and manages the (environmental management system) EMS and related external certification.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Engineering, architectureSeniority
: Expert (non-managerial)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired skills
: Construction management; Budgeting, financial planning; Reporting; Document and archive management; Structural engineering; Research and developmentRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply