The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. This position is located in the Management Advisory and Compliance Service of UN-Habitat at the Nairobi duty station. Under the general guidance of the Programme Management Officer; the incumbent contributes to effective budget formulation/preparation, implementation, monitoring and safeguarding of the financial resources of the Organization by providing specialized assistance to more senior staff in the assigned areas of responsibility. The Finance & Budget Assistant reports to the Programme Management Officer in the Management Advisory and Compliance Service of UN-Habitat and provides grant financial management services to offices/units.
Within delegated authority, the Finance & Budget Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Assists in the preparation of supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements.
• Supports the Programme Management Officer in extracting information and generating expenditure reports from computerized information system databases; assists in preliminary analyses of the extracted information and the reports generated, and highlights areas of concern for the attention of the Programme Management Officer.
• Assists in the development of resource requirements for budget submissions and in the preparation of budget performance submissions.
• Researches/compiles data and other information required by the Programme Management Officer in the review and analysis of relevant proposals.
• Consolidates data and provides support to Programme Management Officer with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
• Assists the Programme Management Officer in the preparation/finalization of budget performance reports, performing preliminary analysis of variances between approved budgets or donor agreements and actual expenditures.
• Prepares pre-encumbrances and obligations in UMOJA and review them to ensure that funds are available and the correct account has been used and funds are sufficient to cover the costs.
• Assists in the financial backstopping of trust funds, including monitoring the status of voluntary contributions, generating expenditure reports from UMOJA/IMIS and monitoring reporting requirements by donors.
• Assists the Programme Management Officer in the issuance of allotments and related staffing table authorizations.
• Verifies accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data in previous allotments to new allotments issued and cash availability in the Grant and compliance with the donors agreements
• Review outstanding commitments including the advances and expenditures reporting by implementing partners and ensure payments / liquidation, service entry sheet are raised in time and close unused balances on timely manner.
• Support Programme Management Officers in year-end closing data cleansing and Grant final closing activities.
• Verifies and prepares less complex payments to third parties, commercial entities, and individuals, with respect to settlement of certified death and disability, stores, pay and allowances, payroll computation, and others. Treasury:•Reviews incoming payment instructions with regard to banking details and sources of funds and charged against correct commitment documents.
• Prepares payments for final disbursement by UNON
• Creates receipts and deposits for all incoming funds.
• Notifies payees of status of payments.
• Assists staff members, Programme Management Officer and donors regarding queries on payment and deposit-related issues.
• Identifies and annotates bank account movements.
• Files and archives documentation as required.
• Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme budgets, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
• Drafts routine correspondence with respect to enquiries related to relevant financial and budget matters.
• Maintains and keep up-to-date files.
• Provides administrative support to the Head of the organizational unit and/or Programme Management Officer as required.
• Performs other related duties, as assigned.