Fuzu Exclusive Job
MercyCorps | Uganda, Uganda | Log in or register to see the closing date
Governance and Advocacy Officer Based in Kaabong
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Project, program management
- Experienced (senior worker)
- Full Time
Mercy Corps does high-quality, analytical work in very difficult places. We have been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently implement development programs in the Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja sub-regions of Uganda with funding from USAID, DFID and ECHO, among others. Apolou (“Growth” in Nga’karimojong) is a 5-year USAID funded DFSA activity operating in the four districts of Moroto, Kotido, Kaabong and Amudat. Apolou has four objectives grounded in social behaviour change and supports gender-transformative and resilience outcomes:
Inclusive and effective governance contributes to food and nutrition security.
Improved health and nutritional status of pregnant and lactating women, children under five and adolescent girls.
Improved WASH conditions.
Adolescent girls, adolescent boys, women and men access diverse and secure livelihoods through improved capacities and strengthen market systems.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
- The primary focus of the Governance and Advocacy Officer will be to strengthen horizontal and vertical linkages of formal and informal governance structures in Karamoja with the aim of mobilizing communities, building governance capacity for improved nutritional outcomes and ensuring governance structures are inclusive. The Governance and Advocacy Officer will support the integration and implementation of the Apolou advocacy strategy while helping to raise awareness of program activities with governance structures, strengthening policy and budget allocations which support Apolou’s objectives. The position should focus on four key success factors:
- Ability to implement a strategy for Community Mobilisation through Resilience Action Committees in close partnership with the Local CBO partners and Governance and Partnerships Team.
- Strengthen service delivery for nutritional outcomes through capacity building and implementing accountability mechanisms across all sectors of Apolou.
- Increase representation and participation of women and youth in leadership positions in formal and informal governance structures to ensure inclusive governance.
- The degree to which the Officer drives results, making critical decisions and producing scheduled outputs on time, on scope and on budget for Mercy Corps.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- In close coordination with the M&E team implement M&E protocols and procedures to ensure accurate reporting of data against program indicators.
- Support data collection for governance related learning questions to the Apolou learning agenda and support data collection, analysis and write up of this data.
Documentation & Knowledge Management
- Implement activities in a way that is compliant with USAID rules and regulations.
- Adhere to Mercy Corps policy and procedures, in particular related to finance and operations.
- Regularly document activities, success stories and administrative issues (e.g. distributions or transfer documentation) in soft and hard copy.
- Implement the document management system to ensure compliance.
- Contribute to reports for Mercy Corps and its donor.
- Generate and share success stories
- Work collaboratively with other sectors, departments and staff across Apolou and the Mercy Corps Uganda team.
Representation and Coordination
- Execute a strategy for roll out of Community Mobilisation through Resilience Action Committees across Apolou districts of implementation.
- Drive sustainability around Resilience Adaptation Committees helping to operationalize community level Resilience Action Plans
- Maintain up-to date understanding of the national and local-level policy environment, including donor initiatives and funded activities and public budgeting processes, timelines and prioritization.
- Integrate governance initiatives across all Purposes (WASH, Livelihoods and MCHN) of Apolou providing technical guidance for improved nutritional outcomes.
- Increase representation and participation of women and youth in leadership committees (WUCs, Peace Committees etc.)
- Roll out trainings to improve women’s leadership capacity
- Liaise with local government officials, local CSOs and NGOs, local religious leaders and others to ensure support for and acceptance of Mercy Corps.
- Maintain close working relationships with donors, other humanitarian and development organizations, and local partners, including representing Mercy Corps at local coordination meetings as required.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor or Advanced Degree in Governance, Law, Civil Society Development or related field.
- 3+ years of experience focused on governance and civil society development in Karamoja.
- Experience supporting Community Mobilisation processes and building inclusive governance structures.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a sensitive environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication; strong skills in organization and prioritization
- Good knowledge on Microsoft Office applications (Word, excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) are a requirement
- Excellent English language skills essential (verbal and written), with Ngakarimojong skills preferred.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: PermanentJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: UgandaArea of work
: Project, program managementSeniority
: Experienced (senior worker)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 3 yearsRequired skills
: Negotiation; Written communication; Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E); Reporting; Lobbying, advocacy; Office tools: Word, Excel, OutlookRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply