Job verified by Fuzu
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Head, Communications and Knowledge Management
Click to apply
- Post-graduate education
- Media, communications, languages
- Senior manager (department head)
- Full Time
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Head, Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) to manage and lead ILRI’s communications and knowledge management work to deliver on ILRI’s mission.
The Communications and Knowledge Management team at ILRI provides central leadership in knowledge sharing, communication and information facilities and expertise to ILRI researchers, the organization and its partners. Activities are intended to enhance ILRI’s effectiveness and outcomes through four main activities:
Communicate evidence for wider influence – by engaging with decision-makers and other audiences;
Translate science-based practices into impact – by communicating research outputs towards potential development outcomes;
Link and connect people and knowledge to enrich collaboration, within ILRI and beyond, learning, interaction and exchange;
Access, organize and manage, document, publish, communicate and disseminate research knowledge, information and data, products and outputs for wide accessibility and use.
This is an important institutional role leading diverse efforts to help achieve ILRI’s strategic influencing, capacity development and science uptake objectives. The CKM team works across ILRI, contributing to institutional and project activities, spanning public awareness, advocacy, publishing, knowledge sharing, engagement and facilitation. The team presently comprises 20 individuals based at ILRI campus in Addis Ababa and Nairobi, with associated project communications specialists embedded into different research programs and projects.
The ideal candidate should brings a wide expertise and ability to guide a multi-faceted team as well as depth in any of the substantive areas falling within the terms of reference.
The head of ILRI Communications and Knowledge Management will work directly with ILRI’s teams covering (1) Information, Publishing and Curation; (2) Knowledge, Engagement and Collaboration; and (3) Communications, Awareness and Advocacy as well as working closely with other communications colleagues within ILRI, CGIAR and our donors and partners; and with ILRI directors, managers, scientists and other program staff and consultants. Working closely with three team leaders, this person will:
• Help raise the level of ILRI and partner livestock-research-for-development information, knowledge and communications.
• Work across a range of mediums and topics to turn out compelling communications materials that help translate ILRI’s research into real-world impacts.
• Skillfully coordinate efforts to inform, educate and publicize ILRI’s work in collaboration with scientists and communications colleagues across the centre.
• Be an expert in science or technical communications, with broad experience and familiarity with emerging social media tools and trends.
• Be exceptionally experienced in creating systems that enable every CKM activity and product to add value to others.
• Take pleasure in designing communications products for greatest and cost-efficient impacts
• Demonstrate an ability to frame complex research findings so that these are understandable and useful to a wide range of audiences.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: PermanentJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Media, communications, languagesSeniority
: Senior manager (department head)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 10 yearsRequired skills
: Strategizing; Digital content development and editing (social media, blogs, etc.); Communication; Research publication; Corporate communicationsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply