Job verified by Fuzu
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Head, Communications and Knowledge Management
Click to apply
- Post-graduate education
- Media, communications, languages
- Senior manager (department head)
- Full Time
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Head, Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) to manage and lead ILRI’s communications and knowledge management work to deliver on ILRI’s mission.
The Communications and Knowledge Management team at ILRI provides central leadership in knowledge sharing, communication and information facilities and expertise to ILRI researchers, the organization and its partners. Activities are intended to enhance ILRI’s effectiveness and outcomes through four main activities:
Communicate evidence for wider influence – by engaging with decision-makers and other audiences;
Translate science-based practices into impact – by communicating research outputs towards potential development outcomes;
Link and connect people and knowledge to enrich collaboration, within ILRI and beyond, learning, interaction and exchange;
- Access, organize and manage, document, publish, communicate and disseminate research knowledge, information and data, products and outputs for wide accessibility and use.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal. Screening of applications will continue until the position is filled. The position title and reference number IP/HCKM/05/2017
should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
The head of ILRI Communications and Knowledge Management will work directly with ILRI’s teams covering (1) Information, Publishing and Curation; (2) Knowledge, Engagement and Collaboration; and (3) Communications, Awareness and Advocacy as well as working closely with other communications colleagues within ILRI, CGIAR and our donors and partners; and with ILRI directors, managers, scientists and other program staff and consultants. Working closely with three team leaders, this person will:
• Help raise the level of ILRI and partner livestock-research-for-development information, knowledge and communications.
• Work across a range of mediums and topics to turn out compelling communications materials that help translate ILRI’s research into real-world impacts.
• Skillfully coordinate efforts to inform, educate and publicize ILRI’s work in collaboration with scientists and communications colleagues across the centre.
• Be an expert in science or technical communications, with broad experience and familiarity with emerging social media tools and trends.
• Be exceptionally experienced in creating systems that enable every CKM activity and product to add value to others.
• Take pleasure in designing communications products for greatest and cost-efficient impacts
• Demonstrate an ability to frame complex research findings so that these are understandable and useful to a wide range of audiences.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: PermanentJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Media, communications, languagesSeniority
: Senior manager (department head)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 10 yearsRequired skills
: People management; Digital content development and editing (social media, blogs, etc.); Press relations; Product development; Communication; Research publicationRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply