Job verified by Fuzu
International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Head, Environmental Health Theme (Re-advertisement)
Click to apply
- Post-graduate education
- Medical, health
- Senior manager (department head)
- Full Time
ICIPE is seeking to appoint an outstanding scientist to fill the position of HEAD OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
THEME. The Theme has a total staff number of 79 with an annual budget of USD 6 million. The work of the Theme
spans the impact of climate change on insect populations and the subsequent health and agriculture consequences,
development of plant-derived natural insecticides and monitoring the benefits of a reduced environmental burden
of chemical insecticides, and bee health and genetics, pollination services, as well as working with communities to
establish insect-based commercial activities (e.g. honey and silk).
The position is tenable in Nairobi at the ICIPE Duduville campus. The position will be offered for an initial contract of 2 years, which is renewable subject to funding availability for the position and performance of the staff member.
A competitive and generous compensation package that includes housing and transport allowances, child education
allowance up to university first degree, comprehensive health and life insurance cover, and an offshore retirement
package (all payable in US Dollars), will be offered to the right candidate. Furthermore, the incumbent will receive
paid annual vacation, return airfare for themselves and their dependents to their nominated home base each year,
and duty-free privileges. If the successful candidate is appointed from outside Kenya, he or she will be offered support
to relocate and settle in Nairobi. Qualified candidates from Africa (and especially females) are invited to apply. Only
shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
The overall purpose of the job is to lead the Environmental Health Theme. Reporting to the Director of Research and Partnerships the successful applicant will be part of a multidisciplinary team providing leadership and research strategy to the Centre in collaboration with ICIPE’s other Themes and Units. It is expected that the successful candidate will maintain a portfolio of research that is aligned with ICIPE’s strategy and goals.
- Work in collaboration with the ICIPE leadership team, including the Director General, Director of Research Partnerships (DRP), as well as Heads of Themes and Units, to facilitate research and capacity building activities across the Centre
- Promote and establish collaborative linkages with national, regional, and international institutions in the relevant fields of the Theme.
- Seek and secure external support for the activities of the Theme, including resources to develop and grow a personal research portfolio.
- Manage and develop the staff of the Theme to create and foster a culture of science excellence, and ensure the Theme has the human resources required now and into the future.
- Ensure the Theme meets its legal and reporting responsibilities to all stakeholders, including national licensing authorities and donors
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Medical, healthSeniority
: Senior manager (department head)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 10 yearsRequired skills
: Stakeholder communication; Operative management; Partnerships; People management; Research planning; Team leadershipRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply