Salary range: Confidential | Contract type:
You have 4 days left to apply for this job.
icipe is seeking to appoint an outstanding, dynamic and self-motivated scientist for the position of Head, Insects for Food and Feed and Other Uses (INSEFF) Programme. The ideal candidate is a visionary thinker with broad experience in insects for food and feed: cataloguing, mass production, wild harvesting, nutritional profiling, formulation, processing, post-harvest handling, food safety and regulations, and socioeconomic aspects (marketing, awareness creation and harnessing indigenous knowledge). The successful candidate must have outstanding discipline to work in a fast-growing environment to keep the institution at the leading edge of R&D work related to insects for food and feed. The successful leader will develop and deploy capabilities to support programmes and projects including forging external partnerships with like-minded institutions in the field. The selected candidate will contribute to a multi-disciplinary and multiinstitutional team applying various technological approaches to utilize insects as food and feed. The aim is to contribute to icipe's overall mission, which is to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment, and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences. A competitive and generous compensation package that includes housing and transport allowances, child education allowance up to university first degree, comprehensive health and life insurance cover, and an offshore retirement package (all payable in US Dollars), will be offered to the right candidate. Furthermore, the incumbent will receive paid annual vacation, return airfare for themselves and their dependents to their nominated home base each year, and duty-free privileges. If the successful candidate is appointed from outside Kenya, he or she will be offered support to relocate and settle in Nairobi. Qualified candidates from Africa (and especially females) are invited to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
1. Lead INSEFF within icipe’s strategic R4D activities, by providing leadership, influence and handson engagement related to insects for food and feed.
2. Ensure the Centre’s leading role in the area of insects for food and feed, by developing and spearheading relevant and cutting-edge R&D activities related to the topic (e.g. insect therapeutic products, mass rearing and harvesting techniques, optimization and scaling of production systems, nutritional analysis).
3. Proactively facilitate formulation and commercialization of novel products by linking with the private sector and other downstream stakeholders.
4. Lead a core team of domain experts and an extended team of practitioners in the programme working across various strategic projects.
5. Collaborate with experts to address post-harvest handling, processing, food safety, socioeconomic aspects and policy research to guide the development of standards and legislation for use of insects for food and feed.
6. Work in collaboration with colleagues in the thematic area where the programme is based and with the wider icipe research teams, to facilitate research and capacity building activities across the Centre.
7. Promote and establish collaborative linkages with national, regional, and international institutions in the field of insects for food and feed.
8. Ensure growth of the Programme by attracting external funding.
9. Act as a spokesperson for INSEFF in local and international fora.
10. Manage, supervise and motivate programme staff and students, to ensure innovation and the practice of good science resulting in high-quality publications.