The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN Headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support Programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UN Environment) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org). This position is located in the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) Human Resources Management Service (HRMS) in the United Nations Joint Medical Service (JMS).Under the direct supervision of the Chief, (JMS) and within delegated authority, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Clinical Duties:
• Assesses needs of clients visiting the “walk-in” clinic, provides care/advice accordingly or facilitates referral to the UN Medical Officer or to an outside physician as indicated.
• Provides health advice to staff travelling on mission or re-assignment, administers vaccines, malaria prophylaxis and other travel disease-related prevention, provides 'Travel kit" and instruction on use.
• Provides health education and participates in addressing work environment and occupational health issues.
• Ensures proper co-ordination between nurses, Medical Officers, UN Security and outside Paramedics in case of medical emergencies.
• Runs the 24/7 JMS Sitcen (emergency call center) on Day or Night shift rotation basis as may be determined from time to time according to the duties schedule and exigencies of work.
2. Medico-Administrative Duties:
• Collaborates with the Medical Director and all physicians in developing objectives and establishing policies to ensure quality in the delivery of medical care.
• Develops, implements and evaluates nursing objectives and guidelines related to health care delivery in the clinic and the satellites.
• Participates in the establishment, implementation and evaluation of health promotion and occupational Programmes.
• Participates in the selection process of new nursing staff, ensures their training, updates clinical nursing guidelines, Standard operating procedures (SOPs) and provides the nursing staff with opportunities for continuing education.
• Identifies, evaluates and recommends purchase of medical equipment and supplies. Maintains inventory of medical equipment and supplies.
• Ensures proper collection of nursing statistics to assist the Medical Director in the preparation of the biennium budget.
• Ensures smooth running of the Performance Appraisal System for all nurses.
3. Supervisory Duties:
• Supervises the work of all nurses in order to ensure the smooth functioning of the clinic and the satellites.
• Performs any other relevant tasks assigned.