Head of Business Development
Farm Africa Nairobi, Kenya
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 6 days left to apply for this job.
Farm Africa is a specialist NGO working in Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia and Kenya and has ambitions to be the leading provider of agriculture, natural resource management and market led solutions to small holder farmers. The Head of Business Development will work closely with two Proposal Writers to support Country Directors and the Senior Management Team to identify new business opportunities, guide, develop and manage bid development opportunities to secure restricted funding for Farm Africa. The post holder will build an effective and innovative pipeline of concepts and proposals for funding, liaising with the Director of Operations and Business Development, Country Directors and in-country teams. This role is responsible for originating and developing the organisation’s relationships with a global range of institutional donors and strategic partners for Farm Africa. The role will also take responsibility for ensuring processes and systems are in place to ensure informed and strategic choices are made on bid development.
Identify and cultivate opportunities to maximise Farm Africa's restricted income (programmatic income)
• Scan, map and review the external environment for new opportunities and risks to programme funding plans, regularly benchmarking current performance and practice
• Analyse Farm Africa’s priority institutional donor targets, identifying their priorities, ways of working and funding flows. Provide detailed information to develop funding opportunities with each of these donors
• Research potential donors and funding partners, their interests and capacity, and define and execute the most effective way for Farm Africa to approach them for funding and in close consultation with the Director of Operations and Business Development, Director of Quality, and Country Directors
• Lead and coordinate Farm Africa’s activities to maximise engagement with and secure funding from these donors.
• Provide support to programmes teams in-country to enable effective donor networking and relationship building and encourage and support regular contact and meetings as appropriate and required
• Provide support to the Director of Operation and Business Development and Country Directors in developing and maintaining an innovative and robust pipeline of programmatic ideas
• Work with, as well as guide, the Proposal Writers in developing bids for pipeline growth.
• Lead on early stage BD including networking events, conferences and working groups
• Develop relationships with contractors, NGOs and other stakeholders to build strategic consortia for grants and contracts.
Management & delivery of institutional donor funding application processes
• Develop, oversee and deliver high quality submissions of concept notes, prequalification documentations, tenders, and proposals in line with Farm Africa’s multi-year funding needs and in accordance with its internal systems and processes
• Draw in Technical Experts and other key members within the Programme Quality team to ensure bids include strong technical inputs, evidence from existing programmes and strong MEL components in bids
• Co-ordinate donor due diligence and donor assessment processes
• Review feedback from donors and monitor fundraising successes and failures to support future planning
• Assess commercial opportunities in line with Farm Africa’s strategy and interests
• Support in contracting and grant agreements development and negotiation.
Management and co-ordination of Farm Africa’s funding pipeline
• Manage and own the pipeline on SharePoint by updating key documents timely to be used for information and decision making. Manage the pipeline, including the financial forecast (bid development tool) to support Farm Africa's financial planning
• Work with Trust & Foundation Adviser, finance Team and senior team to share updates and support the team to identify priorities and match funding opportunities.
• Manage, develop, and support the two Proposal Writers in the Business Development Unit with particular focus on staff development and proactive performance management.
Be an active member of Farm Africa’s wider leadership
• Support the Chief Executive, Senior Management Team and Country Directors in building donor relationships and networks
• Assist the Chief Executive, Senior Management Team and other senior colleagues to contribute to Farm Africa’s overall direction and development
• Build and maintain a regular dialogue with senior programme colleagues in all Farm Africa’s countries
• Represent Farm Africa externally in appropriate contexts.
Job RequirementsRequired education: Bachelor's degree
Required relevant work experience: 3 years
Required languages: English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Other Jobs at Farm Africa
Head of Business Development
Farm Africa / Uganda
Product Manager - Existing Product Improvement (Hardware)
Nairobi / Sunculture
Product Manager - New Product Innovation
Nairobi / Sunculture
Assistant Commercial Officer - Napak District
Uganda / Ministry of Local Government (Uganda)
Product Manager (Agri financing) – Nairobi, Kenya.
Nairobi / Summit Recruitment & Search
Assistant General Manager
Nairobi / Ramco Oritsu