Head of Customer Retention
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 35 days left to apply for this job.
As Head of Customer Retention, you will be responsible for ensuring that an M-KOPA customer becomes a customer for life. You will define the M-KOPA customer journey, lead a telesales team to sell upgrades, develop and manage relationships with sales and product partners, manage M-KOPA’s portfolio of customer retention product offerings, and bring new retention products to market. You will report to the Chief Customer Officer and have full revenue responsibility for upgrades & upsells in Kenya.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
Define a compelling customer journey that ensures an M-KOPA customer becomes a customer for life. Align your department’s people, culture, products, and processes to deliver that journey
Lead a team of 50+ telesales agents to upgrade and upsell existing customers, with a focus on driving sales productivity, efficiency, quality, and growing M-KOPA’s next generation of sales leaders.
- Provide functional leadership to telesales teams across M-KOPA’s geographic markets outside of Kenya, guiding strategy and operational decision-making with dotted line accountability over day-to-day operations
- Manage M-KOPA’s relationship with sales partners, including an outsourced call center and distributors of third-party product offerings
- Manage M-KOPA’s portfolio of customer retention products, working with finance and product teams to define market requirements, eligibility criteria, target customer segments, pricing, sales approach, and sales targets.
- Work with a cross-functional team to identify and bring to market new retention product offerings, with a focus on financial services (eg: lending, insurance, and savings)
- Own the company’s overall customer retention strategy, identifying and driving opportunities to improve the customer experience, customer lifetime value, and unit economics
- Serve as a member of the company’s Commercial Leadership Team
WHO WE ARE:
You’re passionate about our mission of upgrading lives
- You have 5+ years of experience in a strategic role such as consulting, product or project management, or finance
- You’re an experienced manager of teams, and love driving performance and developing people
- You’re a pro at collaborating across departments, synthesizing input from diverse stakeholders, developing and presenting compelling conclusions, and driving a group to alignment and action
- You have strong analytic skills to derive data-driven recommendations, interpret business case financial modeling, and analyze performance
- You can build relationships with partners to launch new products and projects, and drive performance
- Preferably, you have experience with financial product design or customer retention
- You’re comfortable in a fast-moving environment with frequent change and a sense of urgency
- You have high integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance
M-KOPA is the world’s leading ‘pay-as-you-go’ energy provider to off grid homes. We’ve developed a better way to provide affordable, safe and clean energy to millions of people. It was the first company to launch a SIM-enabled pay-as-you-go solar system anywhere in the world. M-KOPA is no one of the fastest growing power providers in Africa, connecting solar to 500 new homes each day. We partner with leading technology and distribution companies operating across Africa, including Safaricom, Vodacom and Microsoft.They share our commitment to transforming lives through innovation and enterprise.
Thanks to the sun’s rays and mobile technology, our customers can light up their homes, charge their phones and tune into radio and TV. They can do all this at the flick of a switch and for less than they used to spend on kerosene. Every night, hundreds of thousands of homes and 2.5 million people in East Africa are using an M-KOPA Solar home system.
M-KOPA gives you a lot more light, for less, with our affordable annual payment plan. All you need is a deposit of $30 followed by 400 daily payments of 50 cents, which is paid conveniently by mobile money. Each battery-powered 8W system comes with three lights, mobile phone-charging, and a solar powered radio. Customers can now also opt for a 20W system with
digital TV. After completing the initial one-year payment plan, customers can also get more cost-effective financing for a range of productive assets. These include more lights, solar TVs, energy-efficient cooking stoves internet-enabled smartphones, fertilizer and water storage tanks.
We sell directly to our customers through a network of 100 service centers and over 1,500 agents spanning Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. We’ve invested in an industry-leading 24/7 customer care operation.
In June 2017, M-KOPA was named on MIT Technology Review’s 2017 list of 50 Smartest Companies. In Marc 2016, M-KOPA emerged boldest at the Financial Times Arcelor Mittal – Boldness. In Business Awards in the developing markets category. In February 2016, M-KOPA
was recognized as the Best.
Mobile Innovation for Emerging Markets at the Global Mobile Awards. In 2015, M-KOPA was recognized by Fortune Magazine as one of the Top 50 Companies
Changing the World and won the Zayed Future Energy Prize. M-KOPA has also won the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Pioneer Award and 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA is backed by leading growth-stage investors including:
The CDC group - UK’s development Finance Institution that has invested in 1,245 businesses throughout Africa and South Asia. They were founded in 1948, making them the world's oldest DFI.
Generation Investment Management LLP (GIM) - A London-based investment management firm with over $10bn assets under management and an investment style that focuses on both commercial and sustainability factors. Generation was founded in 2004 by former US Vice President Al Gore and former Goldman Sachs Asset Management CEO David Blood.
Stanbic Bank – One of the leading financial services organizations that aims to be the leading corporate and investment banking business in, for and across Africa.REMUNERATION
Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.PLEASE NOTE
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.Required education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)