Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 1 days left to apply for this job.
The Head of Legal Services & Intellectual Property (IP) (HoLS) will be responsible for leading the Centre’s strategic and tactical legal services. The HoLS will provide senior management with effective advice on the Centre’s legal and regulatory strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel. The legal advice will encompass interpretation and guidance to senior management regarding contracts, countries’ regulatory requirements, intellectual property, trademark protection and other business matters. S/he shall manage all legal risks of the Centre, as well as lead, oversee and coordinate effective board legal matters. The HoLS will also build capacity of scientists and students in legal matters relevant to their field and be an effective advocate for the legal services both within the Centre and externally.
Applications will be accepted up to 21st October 2019. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential cover letter; (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees, including e-mail addresses; and (c) a statement illustrating their suitability against each of the listed qualifications/competencies/ abilities, and skills
Manage the Senior Legal Officer and Legal Officer and together provide legal advice to guide the decisions of and protect the interests of the Centre by ensuring the provision of practical and effective legal advice and services at the Centre, including but not limited to policy, contracts and procurement and programme related legal matters.
▪ Ensure the Centre effectively meets its legal obligations within its contractual agreements with the donors, various governments and suppliers. Ensure compliance with all necessary legal requirements in the countries of operation of the Centre.
▪ Write, review, and edit reports, opinions, correspondence, contracts which have legal implications for the Centre. Review and guide the execution of partnerships, investments and procurement agreements and other contracts relating to the work of the Centre. Support in negotiating agreements pertaining to the work of the Centre.
▪ Direct legal intellectual property matters, transactional and business matters involving technology and innovation. Manage all Intellectual Property issues, including managing the IP committee; reviewing icipe research prior to publication for suitability of IPR protection; seeking and managing external licensees; and updating the icipe IP Policy.
▪ Build relevant capacity on general legal business matters and specifically legal Intellectual Property (IP) capacity of all staff, students and partner institutions. Undertake legal outreach including assisting icipe partner organizations with development of IPR and technology transfer infrastructure.
▪ Conduct original research in the areas of innovation and into a variety of legal issues and ICT law.
Supervise PhD students affiliated with icipe.
▪ Teach courses on IP-related issues to icipe scientists and graduate students. ▪ Advocate for local and international policies that benefit innovation within icipe’s spheres.
▪ Represent icipe at local and international meetings.
▪ Manage external legal counsels and any litigation against and for the Centre. Ensure adequate representation of icipe in any legal proceedings, across various jurisdictions, where issues may arise.
▪ Keep abreast of developments in the legal field that could affect the Centre and prepare reports on relevant matters for consideration by the senior management.
▪ Anticipate and guard against legal risks facing the Centre. Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk avoidance and mitigation; develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues and provide general guidance on how to avoid similar situations in the future