The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the respective office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org). This post is located in the Human Resources Management Service (HRMS) within the Division of Administrative Services of the United Nations Office at Nairobi.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in public or business administration, human resources management or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administration or related area, with at least three (3) years at the international level is required.
Experience in the area of recruitment and staffing is required.
- Experience in the classification of Professional and General Service staff positions and related categories within the United Nations Secretariat is desirable.
1. Identifying upcoming job openings in coordination with client offices;
2. Reviewing draft job openings, conducting human resources assessments of applications, and monitoring recruitment actions in coordination with client divisions;
3. Reviewing recommendations on the selection of candidates by client offices with a view to ensuring conformity with UN staff selection system policies;
4. Serving as ex-officio /secretary to central review bodies; preparing and presenting cases to these bodies;
5. Advising Human Resources Assistants on recruitment related activities, including the preparation of job offers for successful candidates;
6. Providing advice and support to managers and staff on human resources related matters;
7. Keeping abreast of developments in various areas of human resources;
8. Providing advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules, including exceptions to such policies;
9. Supervising the work of the Human Resources Assistants in carrying out human resources administrative transactions, including preparation of personnel actions, maintenance of staffing tables, and processing of contracts;
10. Overseeing the maintenance of filing systems;
11.Preparing classification analysis of jobs in the Professional and General Service and related categories and provide guidance to programme managers on the application of classification policies and procedures;
12.Perform other related tasks as requested by the Chief, HRMS.