Human Resources and Administration Officer
The Water TrustKampala, Uganda
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Fixed term
You have 6 days left to apply for this job.
The Water Trusts seeks a mid-career human resources professional with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. This role will provide human resources support to The Water Trust's team of 25 staff members across three locations, advise the Senior Management Team, and do a variety of finance and administration tasks for the Kampala office. This position reports to the Country Director with a dotted line to the Finance and Operations Manager for administration tasks and with a dotted line to the The Water Trust's headquarters human resource function which is performed by the Executive Director.
This is an excellent opportunity for a professional with three to five years' experience in NGO human resource management, who is keen to learn, highly reliable, and passionate about helping people in poverty gain access to water and sanitation. The ideal candidate will enjoy mastering the details of organizational policies, helping staff understand them, and helping build accountable, enjoyable work cultures by supporting staff and managers. At the same time, given the organization's small size, the ideal candidate will have a "no task too small" mentality and strong attention to detail in the administrative support components of this position.
- University degree relating to human resource management.
- Three to five years of human resources experience working ideally within an NGO.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Experience helping managers to develop, coach and motivate a high performance team.
- Service-oriented, customer focused approach.
- Ability to take initiative where appropriate to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work and ability to work within tight deadlines.
- Flexibility to adapt, positive attitude towards change, and a constructive and creative approach to problem solving.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Strong basic information technology skills (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, internet research.)
- Willingness to travel up to 30% of time to Kiryandongo, Masindi, and potentially other rural areas.
Lead human resources (40%)
- Coordinate hiring, volunteer recruitment, onboarding, separation, HR record keeping in BambooHR software, and coordination of organization-wide performance management processes.
- Lead HR-related training, compliance checks, monthly reporting, and provide employee support to ensure strong human resource management and promote staff welfare.
- Lead annual training process on all organizational policies and procedures to ensure employees are trained and proficient in policies that govern their work.
- Support managers with reviewing staff workload assignments, effectively planning and reviewing staff performance, and resolving staff compliance or performance issues
- Effectively respond to staff enquiries and elevate staff issues as needed to the management team for review and response.
- Advise management on HR issues, including job design, workload assessments, staff training development, and staff planning.
- Preparation of the staff payroll and approval of monthly time sheets in collaboration with the finance department.
- Administer and provide advice on salary and related benefits, travel and other entitlements for staff, consultants, and interns.
- Contributes to the development of the human resources strategy and supports cultural change and organisational development initiatives.
Coordinate and support finance and administration (60%)
- Support the Finance and Operations Manager in ensuring all department staff have work plans and monthly reports that ensure departmental policies will be implemented and
- Coordinate Kampala procurement by visiting suppliers and receiving goods.
- Run administrative errands for the organization in Kampala.
- Manage petty cash box in Kampala office.
- Support Senior Management Team with clerical work, including copyediting documents, filing and reviewing expense reports, and keeping meeting minutes for Senior Management Team internal and external meetings.
- Maintain a database of online donations in coordination with the US office and generate electronic gift acknowledgements.
- Coordination of annual returns and filing of documentation with NGO board, URSB, UWASNET and other structures.
- Performs other duties as requested by the supervisor.
Job RequirementsRequired education: Bachelor's degree
Required relevant work experience: 3 years
Required languages: English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Other Jobs at The Water Trust
Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
The Water Trust / Uganda
Nairobi / Bolt
Human Resource Officer
Nyandarua, Nyandarua / Nyandarua Institute of Science and Technology
Area HR Cordinator-Kenya
Nairobi / INTERSOS
Nairobi / UNHCR
Talent Acquisition Associate (Recruiter)
Nairobi / CloudFactory