The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The UN-HABITAT GIS and Spatial Data Analysis Support internship is for 6 months.
The Internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background; the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, Global Urban Observatory, the intern will:
- Participate in extraction of multi-temporal built up areas from satellite imagery.
- Participate in extraction of open spaces, streets and transport stops from land use plans, open data sources and high-resolution satellite imagery and/or relevant base maps.
- Participate in analysis and computation of data using GIS workflows in support of Sustainable Development Goal Indicators, the New Urban Agenda Indicators and other urban indicators.
- Participate in production of analytical maps, and interpretation of data on city / country performance against GIS based urban indicators.
- Contribute to any other assignment as required.