Junior Legal Officer - National Environmental Law Unit
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Temporary
You have 1 days left to apply for this job.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UN Environment's Law Division is the lead Division charged with carrying out the functions of UN Environment in the field of environmental law, governance and related policy issues, including those related to multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs).
To fulfill its mandate, the Division’s work focuses on: leading the international community in the progressive development of environmental law; supporting States in the development and implementation of legal, institutional and policy measures that address emerging and important environmental challenges; facilitating cooperation and coordination among MEAs and between UN Environment and those agreements; working with MEA Secretariats to support Parties to the respective MEAs in implementing their treaty obligations; and facilitating policy dialogue among States on issues relating to international environmental law and governance.
The National Environmental Law Unit operates within the Law Division as the guardian of environmental law at the national level. It assists countries in the translation of their environmental priorities into national legislation and, when environmental legislation is already in place, to strengthen the capacity of countries to implement and enforce these laws.
The Unit supports governments, non-governmental organizations and other stakeholders, and leads on all matters relating to national environmental law within the mandate of UN Environment.
- Support the review of legislation (e.g., law and regulations) in countries that have requested technical assistance to strengthen national legal and institutional capacities concerning a specific area of environmental law, through e.g. carrying out research assignments, drafting briefing summaries and legal opinions.
- Assist in the organization and support of events (meetings, workshops and training, roundtables and expert meetings), that are organized face-to-face or electronically by the Unit or in which the Unit is involved to raise awareness and build capacity on emerging issues of environmental law or on issues designated as important by countries, through e.g., liaising with partner entities/organizations and with participants, compiling materials, taking notes and preparing reports.
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of training materials and information, including e-learning training material, on the promotion of environmental law education and on emerging issues of environmental law or on environmental issues designated as important by countries, to raise awareness among government officials, the judiciary and enforcement officers, parliamentarians and legal professionals, through e.g. collaborating with other Units and Divisions on designing materials and corresponding with interested participants and participating relevant authorities or other organizations. Assist other members of the Unit in complying with UN Environment and United
- Nations general policies and procedures for the carrying out of activities, through e.g., supporting the carrying out of due diligence procedure for selected implementing partners or providing inputs for the regular update of reporting processes, such as the Project Information Management System (PIMS).
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 2 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)