Job verified by Fuzu
AMSCO | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Legal Counsel (Company Secretarial)
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Expert (non-managerial)
- Full Time
The job holder will be responsible for providing legal support on to ensure that the legal risk that the Bank is exposed to is minimized to the extent possible.
• Contract Documentation: ensure that all contracts that the Bank is entering into are negotiated within time (which includes letters of offer and leases for the Bank’s premises and service contracts with our various service providers) and all the concluded contract are entered into the Bank’s contract register, once the appropriate IT system is in place.
• Ensure that contracts that are expiring are renewed in good time. At least six months before the expiry of an existing contract, notification should be sent to the relevant department so that they commence engaging the relevant parties for renewal of the same.
• Any contract renewals should be finalized at least one month before the expiry of the said contract.
• Review/drafting of contracts should be finalized within the timelines to be set out in the Company Secretarial Service Level Agreement, currently being developed.
• Follow up on litigious cases for either an out of court settlement and/or ensure that all matters in court are handled efficiently.
• Ensure that all documents required by the lawyers to effectively defend the Bank’s interests are sent to the lawyers within 5 business days from the time they are required;
• Respond to any correspondence from the Bank lawyers or from lawyers acting for a third party suing the Bank within five business days from the time of receipt of the correspondence;
• Ensure that all Bank witnesses (in civil proceedings) are well briefed and prepared for hearing at least two days before the hearing date;
• Ensure that the Bank receives comprehensive status reports within two business days after a hearing or mention of a case, advising the Bank on the progress of the matter in question and the next steps to be taken with a view to expeditiously concluding the case.
• Research on various legal issues and provide timely legal advice on varying issues as requested by the Branches/Head Office Units (to respond to queries in at least one business day, unless the matter requires extensive research in which case this feedback should be given to the Branch/Head Office Unit.
• Respond to adhoc requests for legal advice within one business day.
• Provide weekly updates on any Bills, Acts of Parliament or case law that will affect the Bank’s operations in any way (directly or indirectly).
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: PermanentJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Expert (non-managerial)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired skills
: Policy drafting and development; Lobbying, advocacy; Contractual negotiations; Contract drafting and preparation; Legal counselingRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply