Legal Officer, P4
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 11 days left to apply for this job.
This position is located in the Disciplinary Team, Appeals and Accountability Section (AAS), Administrative Law Division (ALD)/OHR.
The incumbent reports to the Chief, Disciplinary Team, Appeals and Accountability Section.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Disciplinary Team, Appeals and Accountability Section (AAS), the Legal Officer is responsible for the following duties:Required education
• Provides advice on the handling of disciplinary matters and prepares the related documentation. To this end, the incumbent conducts research and analysis of the UN Charter, General Assembly resolutions and decisions, judgments of the United Nations Administrative Tribunal, the United Nations Dispute Tribunal, the United Nations Appeals Tribunal and judgments of other international administrative tribunals, Staff Regulations and Rules, and administrative issuances.
• Represents the Secretary-General in written and oral proceedings before the United Nations Dispute Tribunal relating to disciplinary cases.Submissions before the Dispute Tribunal must meet procedural requirements of the Tribunal and must be consistent with the principles of administrative law applicable to the Organization.
• Prepares legal advice on human resources and administrative matters, with a view to facilitating early resolution of disputes.
• Provides legal advice on the interpretation and application of staff regulations and rules, including the review of administrative decisions; prepares draft amendments to the staff regulations and rules; prepares draft administrative issuances or amendments thereto and verifies their consistency with the existing staff regulation and rules; prepares analyses and evaluations of human resources policies and practices.
• Supervises the work of one or more junior legal officers and legal assistants. Also guides, develops and trains staff under his/her supervision
• Assists in ensuring the outputs produced under his/her supervision maintain high-quality standards and in fostering teamwork and communication among staff in the Unit.
• Assists in recruiting staff for the Unit.
• Maintains the Unit's registers and electronic databases.
• Performs other duties as required.
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 7 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)