Manager, Corporate and Institutional Banking
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
This role is responsible for growing the Bank’s relationships with corporate clients and driving the Bank’s short and long term corporate Banking strategy as well as managing department staff and resources.
This role entails ensuring quality customer service delivery by the department; business growth of corporate book; enhancing synergies within the bank in line with the policy framework and exploiting potential cross border lending opportunities; retention of existing customers and growth of market share, in line with targets; enhancing cross selling opportunities of various products of the Bank; and maintaining the quality of the corporate asset book.
• Bachelor’s degree in a Business-related field.
• Master’s degree as an added advantage
• Association of Kenya Institute of Bankers or its equivalent; and
• Relevant professional membership where applicable.
Knowledge and Experience
• At least 8 years relevant experience, 3 of which should have been at a supervisory level in relationship management;
• Knowledge of Prudential guidelines and CBK reporting requirements;
• Knowledgeable in financial analysis;
• Knowledge of the regulatory environment of the banking industry; and
• Knowledge of Islamic banking principles
Skills and Attributes
• High moral standing with impeccable integrity;
• Demonstrate a high degree of sensitivity, confidentiality when dealing with internal and external customers;
• Strong negotiation skills;
• Excellent problem solving and decision making skills;
• A go-getter, enthusiastic, results oriented with excellent communication and interpersonal skills;;
• A forward planner with clear focus, ardent team player, mature, reliable, hard working and able to work without supervision;
• Have a high sense of accuracy, attention for detail and with strong analytical ability;
• Business acumen, Strategic thinker with ability to make sound decisions for the business; and
• Ability to grow, support and develop talent within the department
1. Offer strategic leadership and direction of the bank’s Corporate and SME business in line with the bank’s overall strategic intentions and business plans
2. Maintain the corporate customers’ relationships and enhancing the corporate customer experience by ensuring regular customer contact/visits to foster relations and KYC and ensuring that customer facilities are well structured and risks mitigated by timely review of the customers’ business;
3. Active portfolio management and development by maintaining and growing existing income sources. This includes initiating contacts and proposal documents for the purpose of retaining, developing, and fostering profitable business relationships.
4. Responsible for structuring and negotiating finance and/or lease agreements according to guidelines established by senior bank and business unit management.
5. Keep abreast of current developments and market trends to better identify and service clients. This includes conducting research on industry trends, market positioning and client offerings;
6. Identify product/service opportunities for other business units and participate in development of new solutions to client needs, create and follow up a target list for potential new business.
7. Adopt a value based management approach to cost control.
8. Provide outstanding relationship management and advice to a varied and challenging mix of business customers.
9. Develop dynamic working relationship with customers, offering outstanding financial service and advice to those customers to assist them in achieving their personal and business strategic goals and growth aspirations.
10. Participate as a key member of the Management Finance Committee (MFC) in assisting the management in developing the mission and long term strategic goals for the Bank
11. Effectively execute all the agreed business development and growth strategies in accordance with the long, medium and short term plans
12. Develop a sound Corporate and SME Loan Portfolio thereby increasing and diversifying the corporate and SME client and revenue base through formulation and marketing of appropriate financial solutions to corporate, institutional and selected SME clients.
13. Lead and manage the teams operating in the Corporate Unit while ensuring adequate and relevant training, leadership development and performance management of the unit’s staff
14. Continuously evaluate and cross-sell financial solutions to clients in order to maximize profitability, while ensuring that all the risk management principles are being adhered to at all times
15. Ensure the department is the primary point of contact for all the Corporate and SME customers and to build effective cross- functional relationships within the bank in order to deliver effective service
16. Foster a strong and robust relationships with all the key stakeholders of the Bank including but not limited to shareholders, customers, regulators and the community at large
17. Ensure regular product innovation and delivery to the market in order to meet customers’ needs on a timely basis
18. In liaison with the Head of Business, plan, direct and coordinate the operations of the Bank’s business including and ensuring the necessary policies and procedures and management structures are in place as well as ensuring that both human and physical resources are effectively deployed; and
19. Perform team managerial responsibilities that include managing the career of each employee under the incumbent’s direct supervision and coordinating with them for their respective teams, by monitoring the employee performance, providing adequate training and assistance, managing employees’ movements, giving continuous feedback and support in order to optimize the team performance
20. Develop and implement the SME and Institutional banking strategies in line with the overall strategic plan
21. Prospect for and acquire new client relationships within, but not limited to, the following assigned institutional segments (in line with target). This includes government (central and counties), parastatals, non-governmental organizations, churches and religious organizations, educational and health institutions and other high net worth individuals and companies;
22. Provide leadership, assign roles and build up a team of Relationship officers and Managers to service and manage the client portfolio and to maintain and deepen the acquired relationships;
23. Monitor and measure the performance of the Relationship officers and Managers to ensure service standards are maintained and the team meets set targets within their allocated portfolio;
24. Develop tailor made requirements for clients and coordinate with the other key departments to implement;
25. Manage existing relationships by frequently making contact for additional business, processing requests, providing feedback and information where required to ensure customer satisfaction;
26. Cross sell the Bank’s products and coordinate with service delivery departments such as Branches, Central Operations and Financing to meet customer requirements, and ensuring smooth handover of the relationship to the concerned departments;
27. Refer lending proposals to Financing and where applicable arranging for joint customer meetings with service delivery departments.
28. Review existing and innovate new liability products and services for the SMEs and Institutions.
29. Perform team managerial responsibilities that include managing the career of each employee under the incumbent’s direct supervision and coordinating with them for their respective teams, by monitoring the employee performance, providing adequate training and assistance, managing employees’ movements, giving continuous feedback and support in order to optimize the team performanceRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired skills
: Market research, intelligence; Strategizing; Account management; Business development; Business strategy; Partnerships; Regulatory reporting; Customer relations; Investment advise; Corporate bankingRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)