Managing Director, Inkomoko (Kigali, Rwandai)
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 11 days left to apply for this job.
Entrepreneurs will transform the Continent, and Inkomoko seeks to support them. Inkomoko Entrepreneur Development provides training, consulting, and access to finance to ensure that Rwandan businesses can thrive and contribute to the growth of Rwanda’s economy and improve the livelihoods of vulnerable communities.
Since our founding in 2012, Inkomoko has grown to 100+ staff in 8 offices across the country, and has had a 50% compound annual growth rate since 2016. In the past few years, we’ve had active partnerships with the Government of Rwanda, MINICOM and MINEMA; annual partnerships with Bank of Kigali for the BK Urumuri Initiative; and we have been a Mastercard Foundation partner on the Hanga Ahazaza Initiative. Inkomoko is also the largest provider of business development services to refugee entrepreneurs, serving more than 9000 refugee and host community entrepreneurs a year; more than half are women. Recently, Inkomoko disbursed $2.3M USD to 3,500+ businesses across Rwanda to support COVID-19 economic recovery, all while taking our content digital.
Inkomoko the Rwandan affiliate of the African Entrepreneur Collective (AEC), which has offices throughout East Africa, and also provides affordable lending products to entrepreneurs.
Reporting to AEC’s Chief Operating Officer, the Inkomoko MD is the senior-most staff in Rwanda, responsible for driving Inkomoko’s competitive advantage to meet and exceed our strategic goals across Rwanda. Specifically, the MD can expect these range of responsibilities, among others:
STRATEGY & MANAGEMENT (25% time)
- Serve as the lead Director for all Inkomoko operations across Rwanda, working in close coordination with the COO, CEO, Finance Director, HR, and M&E
- Participate in company-wide strategic planning and lead annual Inkomoko goal-setting for Rwanda – consistently reaching further than what we have done before, or even think possible at times
- Manager key senior staff, and coach them to meet and exceed their strategic goals
- Seek new opportunities to expand the Inkomoko brand, reputation, and services
- Develop and share insights about the company, and leverage these for company improvement
- Generate insight about external opportunities and leverage these for company growth
- Be a leader among leaders in maintaining the organizational culture, professionalism, and results
- Ensure Inkomoko adherence with all relevant local laws and regulations
- Conduct bi-annual “Happiness Audit” with Inkomoko staff
- Understand and mitigate corporate risk – legal, financial, the safety of staff, reputational, etc.
- Manage all company-wide contracts and legal work, including HR contracts, MOUs, etc
- Develop the annual Inkomoko budget, ensuring resources are allocated in a strategic manner
- Actively solicit profitable corporate/donor/government contracts and fee-for-service engagements to serve entrepreneurs, and produce proposals and budgets to secure these contracts
- Review and manage the company’s finances to stay within budget – both for revenue and expenses – and make decisions as needed to ensure fiscal sustainability
- Work with CEO to fundraise – relationship building, donor engagement, reporting
- Participate in the annual audit process for Inkomoko and other financial compliance requirements
- Serve in a lead role in government relations, developing respectful and mutually beneficial engagements with MINICOM, RDB, MINICT, MINYOUTH, MINEMA, PSF, and more
- Engage and lead the Inkomoko advisory board of leaders from across Rwanda
- Public speaking at ministry meetings, conferences, and serve as a spokesperson to local and international media
- Develop and maintain relevant collaborations with funders and high-level program partners
- Supervise both the Communications Manager and Admin team
- Collaborate with, leverage learnings from, and support other AEC sister programs, including AEC Rwanda Trustee, and initiatives outside of Rwanda
- Manage Director-level program staff to ensure Inkomoko products/programs are achieving impact goals
- Build strong relationships and good communications with high-profile partners/institutional clients.
- Supervise the Director of SME Growth to ensure that the department is consistently meeting sales, product, and client satisfaction goals in Rwanda
- Supervise the Regional Director of Refugee Affairs to ensure that the department is meeting program outcomes and funder agreements in Rwanda.
- Work closely with the Monitoring & Evaluations Director to track company metrics, and advise other Directors on strategic initiatives as a result of data insights
- Use Inkomoko tools (Odoo database, Commcare, etc) to create meaningful reports and presentations
- Experience leading executive teams and managing leaders to meet strategic objectives
- Track record of fundraising and business development and network of relevant investors
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to establish rapport quickly and collaborate,
must be open to giving and receiving authentic feedback daily
- Experience in government relations and ability to build partnerships with GOR and other stakeholders
- Impeccable integrity, trustworthiness, and professionalism, and the ability to support the CEO/COO
- Excellent communication in English and Kinyarwanda.
- Advanced education qualifications strongly preferred: MBA, CPA, etc.
Our leaders embody the key tenants of the company’s culture. In addition to the skills above, all candidates must demonstrate our core values:
- Purpose: be solutions-oriented and produce high-quality work and be a global leader.
- Achievement: push yourself to reach beyond what you think is possible.
- Improvement: Be humble and committed to continuous learning and growing. Improve through giving and receiving open and accurate feedback
- Bravery: willing to take risks and create a safe space for others. Be compassionate and inclusive
- Turikumwe: We appreciate our colleagues, celebrate success, and support each other in hard times
Send your resume/CV and cover letter with salary requirements to [email protected] by 1
February 2021.This position is open to Rwandan nationals only. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Early applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will start after 1 April 2021.
Women are encouraged to apply!
NB: We do not employ staff whose background is not suitable. All employment is conditional upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks
Job RequirementsRequired education: Post-graduate education
Required relevant work experience: 10 years
Required languages: Kinyarwanda (Spoken: fluent | Written: basic)English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent),
Please have a scan or photo of these documents ready when you start the application:Self-prepared CV file - the employer wants to see a CV that you have prepared yourself
11 days left to apply
African Entrepreneur Collective
African Entrepreneur Collective works with local entrepreneurs so that they can grow their businesses and create jobs. AEC has 140 staff in offices in: - Rwanda (Kigali and Musanze) - Kenya (Nairobi, Mombasa, Dadaab, Kakuma) Working with 14,000 entrepreneurs in 2020, AEC is poised to grow with new offices in Kenya in 2021, providing training, consulting, and access to affordable finance. We are the largest lender to refugee entrepreneurs in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Meet your new colleagues
11 days left to apply