Fuzu Exclusive Job
MercyCorps | Uganda | Log in or register to see the closing date
Market Systems Development Officer Based in Kaabong
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Project, program management
- Experienced (senior worker)
- Full Time
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps implements high quality- analytical work in tough environments. We’ve been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently manage a range of programs in Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja sub-regions with funding from a host of donors. In October 2017, Mercy Corps was awarded a 5-year USAID/ Food for Peace- funded program working in 4 districts in Karamoja, the Apolou Activity. The Activity has four purposes with cross cutting themes of gender and youth and resilience:
Inclusive and effective governance contributes to food and nutrition security Improved health and nutritional status of pregnant and lactating women, children under five, and adolescent girls Improved WASH conditions
Adolescent girls, adolescent boys, women and men access diverse and secure livelihoods through improved capacities and strengthened market systems
Apolou is implemented by a consortium of actors led by Mercy Corps, including Save the Children, Whave Solutions, four local partners (KAPDA, AIDI, NARWOA and Riam Riam) and Tufts University’s Feinstein International Centre (FIC).
General Position Summary
The Market Systems Officer will implement all aspects of the market systems development strategy in the Apolou Activity. This includes strengthening private sector interventions in livestock and agriculture value chains, as well as scaling up financial inclusion and other products/services as relevant. The MSD Officer will work directly with the MSD Manager to developing agent input/output and aggregator networks, increasing local partners' access to market information and financial services. The MSD Officer will ensure that private sector led, project-support development is tailored to the unique needs, opportunities and constraints of women and youth and that activities are integrated with all other consortium supported sectors
STRATEGY & VISION
- Support the MSD Manager to develop and implement MSD team strategy
- Identify new opportunities for innovation and growth among private sector led interventions
MONITORING AND EVALUATION
- Participate in market assessments in the target communities to determine capacity gaps, business opportunities and potential hindrances that could be mitigated through engagements with public and private sector actors. This will include but not be limited to rapid market assessments, value chain analysis and business support activities for the key stakeholders.
- Identify and engage private sector actors to effectively expand their business models in Karamoja Sub Region. This will include profiling businesses and conducting due diligence on potential partners, support the negotiation process to finalize teaming and partnership agreements, and providing ongoing business development support to key partners
- Foster ongoing positive cooperation with relevant stakeholders including MSMEs and the public sector to identify, assess and develop networks for potential linkages between market actors, producers and final consumers etc.
- Identify capacity gaps of MSME partner actors in Karamoja, design and conduct tailor made trainings, mentorship and coaching to boost their competiveness in the market and boost returns on investment.
FINANCE & COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT
- Establish procedures and guidelines to monitor and evaluate the progress and impact of economic development support work including setting and measuring benchmarks along results chains;
- Keenly analyze project implementation strategies to identify constraints to program success and provide timely recommendations to inform decision making processes.
- Provide data in support of team’s submission of timely monthly and quarterly reports, strategic reviews, annual reports and midterm evaluations that will be indicative of program progress during implementation.
Comply with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to MSD Activities, contributing to monthly procurement and financial needs and accurate administration of MSD funds. INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION
- Ensure close coordination and sharing of information with relevant stakeholders such as local government authorities and NGOs as and when advised by the line manager.
- Liaise with local government officials, local NGOs and civil society organizations, and other key stakeholders to ensure support for and acceptance of Mercy Corps’ market-based intervention
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselvesETHICS AND INTEGRITY
All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.Knowledge and Experience
Bachelors in Business Administration, Agricultural economics, animal production or any other relevant fields.
Minimum of 3 years work experience with the private sector or market facilitation approaches.
Familiarity with the Karamoja business environment is a plus.
Excellent English Language skills, with Nga’Karimojong and IK language skills a plus.
Computer literate with dexterity with Microsoft Office Applications.Success Factors
The success of the MSD Officer is dependent on his/her creativity to identify and implement market systems interventions to unblock the barriers to systemic change, the second success factor is his/her capacity to positively collaborate across teams to ensure that MSD interventions are relevant and gender inclusive.Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Kaabong district, Uganda and may require travel to other locations in Karamoja. The region is secure with access to most basic amenities.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: PermanentJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: UgandaArea of work
: Project, program managementSeniority
: Experienced (senior worker)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 3 yearsRequired skills
: Project management; Written communication; Teamwork; Project implementation; Data analysis; NetworkingRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply