Job verified by Fuzu
International Rescue Committee | Turkana, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Medical Officer In- Charge of Hospital
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Medical, health
- Experienced (senior worker)
- Full Time
The medical officer in- charge of the hospital will offer quality health care to all patients in the hospital and work closely, as the team leader with medical officers, clinical officers, nurses, staff in lab, pharmacy and health post to ensure quality health care services are offered to the beneficiaries.
The medical officer in –charge will closely work with the Health manager to ensure the smooth running of the hospital with adequate coverage and provision of quality health services in all the departments.
• The Medical Officer In charge shall report to the Health Manager.
• He/she will assist the Health Manager in daily hospital administration, provision of quality health services to the patients and providing oversight in the day to day running of the hospital.
• He/ She will conduct regular inspections of the Hospital departments, ensuring discipline is maintained in all sections and submit a report to the Health Manager.
• He/ She is responsible for ensuring smooth delivery of quality health care to both the refugee and host community populations.
• He/ She will be responsible in Liaison with the Nursing Officer In-charge for preparing quarterly budget estimates for the various hospital departments.
• He/ She will be responsible for taking action on procurement of various hospital medical and surgical items in liaison with the Pharmacist and the Nursing officer-in charge.
• He/ She will ensure proper functioning of special clinics in the hospital on weekly basis i.e. SOPC, GOPC, HRC, MOPC and POPC.
• He/ She will coordinate in liaison with the Health Manager consultancy visits for the Health program in the camp
• He/ She will coordinate in liaison with the Health Manager referrals of refugee patients as per UNHCR referral guidelines.
• He/ She will conduct hospital rounds at least thrice a week and ensure proper cleanliness and decorum is maintained in the OPDs/IPDs/Wards and isolation centers.
• Ensure the hospital is running effectively in all the wards with adequate coverage by all cadres of health staff.
• Attend to all emergencies, both medical and surgical at the hospital.
• Manage and supervise all the staff in respective wards.
• Ensure survivors with sexual assault cases are promptly attended in GBV support centre.
• Ensure the medical- legal forms including P3 forms are well filled by clinicians and proper representation in the courts as may be required.
• He/ She will provide direct supervision to the medical officers, Nursing officer-in-charge, CO- Pediatrician, and CO –Anesthetists.
• He/ She will be responsible for compiling clinical officers and medical officers duty rotas, compensatory days awarding, making alternate postings and duty arrangements to ensuring judicial deployment of clinicians at the hospital.
• Handle disciplinary cases with support of the Health Manger and the HR.
• He/ She will plan and coordinate RnR and leave for medical officers and clinical officers working at the hospital in liaison with the Health Manager.
• He/ She in liaison with the Health Manager and the Nursing officer-in-charge will be responsible for filling up vacant positions through the formal recruitment or promotions process to fulfil the requirements of the departments.
• He/ She will take lead in chairing the daily morning clinical staff meetings, mortality, morbidity and near-miss review audits; providing guidance, oversight and program updates as required.
• Manage the Health Program in acting capacity when the Health Manager is not in office.
• Coordinate and Participate in the Continuous Medical Education (CME) for staff and give updates on care of patients.
• Chair the Quality Improvement Committee meetings and together with the Health Manager ensure the action points are followed and acted upon.
• Conduct daily ward rounds in respective wards.
• Be the doctor on call at the hospital on weekly basis, 24hrs 7 days as per the scheduled call list.
• Carry out all emergency surgical/obstetric cases in theatre.
• Properly document patient diagnosis, plans of treatment and care on patient files.
• Attend and chair morning handover meetings and give feedback on patient care.
• Carry out all elective surgical and gynecological cases twice a week in theatre.
• Attend to all medical legal issues, fill P3 forms and attend court sessions.
• Fill the referral forms for both emergency and elective referrals as per the SOPs.
Reporting and Coordination
• Attended monthly coordination meetings organized by UNHCR, and ensure relevant coordination-related data is shared.
• Participate in inter agency health working groups or committees as required.
• Participate in writing quality internal and donor reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly and annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements.
Key Result Areas
• Improved quality of care in the wards/hospital
• Proper coverage and delivery of health services at the hospital departments.
• Quality emergency obstetric care in maternity.
• Prompt referral of patients.
• Proper documentation of patient care.
• Prompt management of disease outbreaks.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: TurkanaArea of work
: Medical, healthSeniority
: Experienced (senior worker)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 3 yearsRequired skills
: Supply and demand planning; Reporting; Patient care; Public health; Programme managementRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply