Job verified by Fuzu
Amnesty International | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Business, strategic management
- Expert (non-managerial)
- Full Time
This role acts as the first point of contact for the Executive Director, campaign managers, EARO regional researcher and country team on policy messaging coordination, commission and writing of policy influencing and movement-building research products. The holder shall guide research design research, documentation and learning coordination within agreed Amnesty International policy positions. He or she will also play an active role within the Amnesty LawPol community to shape international research and positions relevant for Kenya and the international human rights movement.
This is position requires the ability and willingness to occasionally work out of office hours to meet deadlines. A high degree of thought-leadership, political judgment and trouble-shooting skills are essential. The post holder will be an active team member of the team and will need to fully participate and help support the team’s activities.Job Purpose
Provide policy and political analysis and thought leadership to inform Amnesty International Kenya campaigns within Amnesty legal and policy positions.Qualifications
How to apply
- Commitment to Amnesty’s organisational values and vision and Kenyan Constitution
Familiarity with the rights-based approach, social justice, citizen empowerment and gender sensitive approaches;
At least 5 years relevant experience in managing staff advocacy, campaigns or other change management;
Demonstrated ability to manage financial resources;
Demonstrated ability to analyze injustice and rights violations and to develop short and long-term strategies to achieve human rights impact and change;
Demonstrated experience of working with the development sector/ social movements/ community organizing to influence duty-bearers
Experience of influencing civic organisations, social movements leaders and mid-level government officials, policy makers and law enforcement officials.
Proven ability to develop strategies and plans and review/adapt them to fast changing political situations, exercising and promoting creative thinking;
Ability to contribute to organizational development
A confident communicator with good analytical, presentation and editorial digital skills;
Team leadership, outstanding social and intercultural skills and proven ability to multi task and work to deadlines, sometimes under pressure
- Ability to operate and lead under pressure and in challenging situations; and take quick and firm decisions.
Applicants should send an email with subject heading “Application and the Position of Interest” and PDF attachment that includes cover letter and a CV.
- To monitor, research, investigate and analyze human rights-related developments in order to provide timely, accurate, independent and impartial assessments and expert analysis;
- Ensuring that all campaign research and communications actions are underpinned by evidence and passionate calls to action by peoples at risk, allies and duty-bearers;
- Ensuring Amnesty Kenya policy coherence with agreed Amnesty human rights understanding, policy positions and language;
- Designing imaginative and authoritative knowledge products and activities that ensure thought-leadership by Amnesty International Kenya on the issues we campaign on.
A change-maker with a passion and understanding of human rights, you will ensure all Amnesty campaigns and actions are underpinned by our theory of change by;
- Ensuring all messaging promotes values and obligations contained in the constitution and international human rights standards and covenants;
- Leading in and participating in field research and other missions, fact-finding, analysis and assessment of human rights concerns, prepare, where necessary, security assessments, political and other briefings. This will include developing terms of reference and research questions for consultants and interns;
- Conducting or commissioning consultants to write citizens voice and research action tools and high-quality policy briefs to meet the needs of diverse audiences including duty-bearers, allies and persons at risk;
- Writing on-demand summaries and analytical briefing notes that can underpin all policy dialogues, public events, social and mass media engagement;
- Identify, nurture and expand knowledge partnerships with a core group of like-minded projects, institutions and networks, universities, research institutions, policy makers and communities;
- Engage and support other Amnesty initiatives nationally, regionally and globally in order to build comparative understanding and synergies across the Amnesty movement.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Business, strategic managementSeniority
: Expert (non-managerial)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired skills
: Analytics; Policy drafting and development; Research and development; Lobbying, advocacy; Research planning; Research publication; Human rightsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply