Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 2 days left to apply for this job.
WHO WE ARE
M-KOPA is the world’s leading ‘pay-as-you-go’ energy provider to off grid homes. We’ve developed a better way to provide affordable, safe and clean energy to millions of people. It was the first company to launch a SIM-enabled pay-as-you-go solar system anywhere in the world. M-KOPA is now one of the fastest growing power providers in Africa, connecting solar to 500 new homes each day. We partner with leading technology and distribution companies operating across Africa, including Safaricom, Vodacom and Microsoft. They share our commitment to transforming lives through innovation and enterprise.
Thanks to the sun’s rays and mobile technology, our customers can light up their homes, charge their phones and tune into radio and TV. They can do all this at the flick of a switch and for less than they used to spend on kerosene. Every night, hundreds of thousands of homes and 2.5 million people in East Africa are using an M-KOPA Solar home system.
M-KOPA gives you a lot more light, for less, with our affordable annual payment plan. All you need is a deposit of $30 followed by 400 daily payments of 50 cents, which is paid conveniently by mobile money. Each battery-powered 8W system comes with three lights, mobile phone-charging, and a solar powered radio. Customers can now also opt for a 20W system with digital TV. After completing the initial one-year payment plan, customers can also get more cost-effective financing for a range of productive assets. These include more lights, solar TVs, energy-efficient cooking stoves, internet-enabled smartphones, fertilizer and water storage tanks.
We sell directly to our customers through a network of 100 service centers and over 1,500 agents spanning Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. We’ve invested in an industry-leading 24/7 customer care operation.
In June 2017, M-KOPA was named on MIT Technology Review’s 2017 list of 50 Smartest Companies. In March 2016, M-KOPA emerged boldest at the Financial Times Arcelor Mittal – Boldness In Business Awards in the developing markets category. In February 2016, M-KOPA was recognized as the Best Mobile Innovation for Emerging Markets at the Global Mobile Awards. In 2015, M-KOPA was recognized by Fortune Magazine as one of the Top 50 Companies Changing the World and won the Zayed Future Energy Prize. MKOPA has also won the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Pioneer Award and 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA is backed by leading growth-stage investors including:
- The CDC group - UK’s development Finance Institution that has invested in 1,245 businesses throughout Africa and South Asia. They were founded in 1948, making them the world's oldest DFI.
- Generation Investment Management LLP (GIM) - A London-based investment management firm with over $10bn assets under management and an investment style that focuses on both commercial and sustainability factors. Generation was founded in 2004 by former US Vice President Al Gore and former Goldman Sachs Asset Management CEO David Blood.
- Stanbic Bank – One of the leading financial services organizations that aims to be the leading corporate and investment banking business in, for and across Africa.
M-KOPA is seeking to hire a Product Manager
who will be in charge of ensuring a smooth running and collaborations with global cross-functional teams to ensure a complete product development cycle from concept to commercial maturity
- Work in a global cross-functional team with engineering, operations, finance and the commercial team through the complete product development cycle.
- Manage the process used to define a product's hardware and commercial features
- Evaluate new technologies and make recommendations to pursue in future products
- Collect customer and company requirements for future product development
- Manage tradeoffs involving features, schedule, cost, pricing, line positioning and lifecycle management
- Assist in development of new products
- Develop and manage pilots for products at different levels of commercial maturity
- Make pricing and forecasting recommendations to management and cross functional teams
- Position the product in relation to other products and the competition
- Work closely with the marketing team
- 3+ years in product management experience having managed at least one entire product development cycle from concept to introduction
- Experience working closely with engineering/technical/credit teams from an in-bound marketing perspective
- Experience in hardware/software or consumer electronics preferred
- Strong commercial skills required
- Requires strong oral and written communications skills as well as demonstrated success as a product spokesperson
- Must have experience formulating product messaging and creating outbound marketing
- Ability to think technically
- Requires experience in formulating marketing requirements
- Excellence stakeholder management required
- Regional role - requires travel
PLEASE NOTERequired education
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 3 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Please have a scan or photo of these documents ready when you start the application:Self-prepared CV file
- the employer wants to see a CV that you have prepared yourself