Mercy Corps drives high quality,analytical work in tough places. We have been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently manage a breadth of programs in Acholi and Karamoja sub-regions with funding from a basket of donors. We partner with a range of private, public and civil society actors to systemically broaden opportunity for people across northern Uganda.
The USAID’s Securing Peace and Promoting Prosperity in Karamoja is a two-year Conflict Management and Mitigation Project that will apply a people-to-people peace building approach to enhance the capacity of institutional structures to address underlying social, economic, ecological, and governance issues at risk of fueling conflict in Karamoja Sub-region. The project will be implemented in Kaabong, Kotido, Abim, and Moroto. The Program Assistant will directly work with the program staff based in Moroto and will work with both management and Program staff in Karamoja to ensure activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality.
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Program Assistant will be responsible for supporting in the implementation of the Project at the community level. S/he will be in constant contact with stake holders and targeted communities to ensure full participation and implementation. The Program Assistant will keep informed of conflict and political dynamics on management on appropriate strategic positioning. S/he will regularly represent Mercycorps at coordination meetings and play a role in donor outreach
· Prepare paper work for trainings and workshops related to the Project;
· Submit reports as specific events, field trips and meetings attended on behalf of Mercy Corps;
· Participate in the partners’ community meetings/activities and report to the Manager;
· In coordination with the Program Manager conduct regular field visits to ensure that all stakeholders fully understand and utilize the project approaches and methodologies.
· Prepare weekly movement plans and submit to Logistics team;
· Support the team in filing program documents;
· Write reports and project documents and submit to Program Manager as required.
· Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to positively acknowledge Mercy Corps and to support its humanitarian mission
· Visit project sites regularly to provide appropriate technical assistance, monitor and oversee activities.
· Participate in peace and conflict-related coordination meetings and professionally represent Mercy Corps in these meetings;
Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
At least a Diploma in conflict management, peace building, social sciences or a closely related field. Three years’ experience managing conflict management or other capacity building related projects preferably with NGOS.· Work experience with stakeholders including the private sector, government, youth and women groups.
· Work experience in conflict or post conflict settings and conflict sensitive
Skills to successfully communicate and initiate and maintain positive relationships with beneficiary’s community.Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writingExperience or working in Karamoja region, with strong contextual knowledge of Karamoja cultures.Excellent computer skills, including all Microsoft applications. SUCCESS FACTORS:
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and appropriate flexibility.Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members.Willingness to travel frequently to remote locations.Ability to quickly learn and implement new information/concepts.