Job verified by Fuzu
United Nations Development Programme | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
- Bachelor's degree
- Project, program management
- Experienced (senior worker)
- Full Time
Oh dear! This job has already closed. But don't worry, you can find other similar jobs from Fuzu.
Jobs similar to Programme AssistantWash Assistant (Hygiene and Sanitation)-Uganda
Danish Refugee Council
African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS)
Monitoring & Evaluation Coordinator
Jobs in Project, program managementMid-Level jobsJobs located in Nairobi
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programmeis the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UN Volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.
In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Sub-programme Coordinator for Chemicals, Waste and Air Quality the national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
• Works with key Bamako Convention’s clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of the work plan of the Convention; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Facilitates the preparation and holding of Conferences of Parties. Assists in performing capacity building programmes, planning and facilitating workshops and other meetings. Provides administrative and substantive support to meetings of the subsidiary bodies of the Convention, including preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
• Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, websites and social media networks, etc.
• Contributes to activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities, etc., to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information relating to waste issues gathered from diverse sources. Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc. Participates in survey initiatives; assists with design of data collection tools; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions.
• Performs other duties as required.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to
• Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
• Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
• Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
• Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNVpublications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
• Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
• Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
• The National UNV is expected to contribute to the successful implementation of the Programme of Work of the Bamako convention through providing administrative support to the Secretariat of the convention as well as technical support to the development, management, implementation/execution of projects in the field of chemicals and waste. (Please complete with the required information )
• A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Project, program managementSeniority
: Experienced (senior worker)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 2 yearsRequired skills
: Data collection; Research planning; Budgeting, financial planning; Event management; Programme management; Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E); Project implementationRequired languages:
Oromo (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)