The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP's Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is located in the Ecosystems Division at the Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Head of Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-Based Activities, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1) Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects on marine litter; monitor and analyze programme/project development and implementation; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and propose corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identify and track follow-up actions.
2) Perform consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assist in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
3) Research, analyze and present information gathered from diverse sources.
4) Assist in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
5) Undertake survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyze and interpret responses, identify problems/issues and prepare conclusions.
6) Prepare various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies and inputs to publications.
7) Provide substantive support to consultative and other meetings and conferences to include proposing agenda topics, identify participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
8) Undertake outreach activities; conduct training workshops and seminars; make presentations on assigned topics/activities.
9) Participate in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries.
10) Coordinate activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and prepare related documents/reports (pledging, work programme and programme budget).
11) Perform other related duties as required.