Job verified by Fuzu
United Nations | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Programme Management Officer
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Project, program management
- Experienced (senior worker)
- Full Time
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UN Environment’s Law Division is the lead Division charged with carrying out the functions of UN Environment in the field of environmental law, governance and related policy issues, including those related to multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs). To fulfil its mandate, the Law Division’s work focuses on: leading the international community in the progressive development of environmental law; supporting States in the development and implementation of legal, institutional and policy measures that address emerging and important environmental challenges; facilitating cooperation and coordination among MEAs and between UN Environment and those agreements; working with MEA Secretariats to support Parties to the respective MEAs in implementing their treaty obligations; and facilitating policy dialogue among States on issues relating to international environmental law and governance. This position is located in the UN Environment, Law Division, at the Nairobi duty station. The incumbent will report to the Head, International Environmental Law Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.;
- Monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions;
- Supports in drafting reports, concept notes and background documents on international environmental law and in particular issues related to human rights and the environment;
- Supports in the organization of expert meetings and/or capacity building efforts on aspects related to international environmental law and human rights;
- Supports the provision of inputs to several human rights related processes, including the High Level Political Forum, SDG related task teams/assignments, and relevant preparations for the UN Environment Assembly;
- Prepares summary documents as inputs to UN Environment’s Committee of Permanent Representative meetings and Human Rights Council events on issues related to human rights and environment;
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources;
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies;
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.;
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports; (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
- Performs other duties as required.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Project, program managementSeniority
: Experienced (senior worker)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 2 yearsRequired skills
: Budgeting, financial planning; Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E); Reporting; Data collection; Programme management; Training program planning; Project implementation; Research planningRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply