Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
M-KOPA Labs is the research and development team within M-KOPA, working with a range of funding and implementation partners to explore opportunities to serve new and existing customers with valued products and services. M-KOPA Labs is responsible for identifying new products and services, developing, testing and bringing them to market-readiness.
The Project Manager is responsible for the planning, management and delivery of a number of projects through structured work plans ensuring that project teams operate effectively, assignments are implemented efficiently and deliverables meet clients’ expectations. The Project Manager must ensure projects are delivered in accordance with client requirements, and M-KOPA’s policies and procedures.The role is based at the M-KOPA offices in Woking, with frequent visits to the M-KOPA campuses in Kenya and Uganda.
Key Accountabilities1. Work Planning & Monitoring
2. Relationship Management
- Development of research methodologies including: theory of change and research hypotheses, logical framework and monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Developing project work plans, monitoring the progress of projects against the work plans, and updating against progress.
- Communicating changes to work plans to project, partners and the clients.
- Monitoring assumptions in the project theory of change, and reporting findings to the Head of Department.
3. Quality Assurance
- Establishing relationship management systems and protocols to build positive working relationships with the client, partners, consultants and project team personnel.
- Operating as the single point of contact (SPOC) for all project activities and communicating key developments to relevant M-KOPA teams and wider project stakeholders
4. Financial Management
- Development of procedures, policies, recordkeeping, and duties as required related to overall administration of projects, including procurement.
- Agreeing a Quality Assurance Plan and supporting the implementation of the Plan.
- Supporting in the organisation of peer review of inputs, outputs and deliverables.
- Organising internal and external audits as required.
- Ensuring project documentation is properly named and filed in accordance with company guidelines.
- Reviewing deliverables and consultant reports for technical rigour.
- Ensuring contracts and terms of reference are accurate and aligned with the project workplan.
- Ensuring consultants and subcontractors deliver assignments to meet client and business needs.
5. Risk Management & Health and Safety
- Ensuring projects are delivered in accordance with project budgets.
- Regularly invoicing the client and providing financial information as requested.
- Ensure project financial information is accurate and up to date.
6. HR Management
- Monitoring and management of project risks, and communicating potential impact to the client, stakeholders and internal reporting mechanisms.
- Ensuring full compliance of the project within M-KOPA’s Quality Management System, Health and Safety procedures and Delegation of Authority, enforcing regulations and procedures within the project team.
7. Logistics, Policies & Strategies
- Oversight of the recruitment, procurement and mobilisation of project staff, consultants and sub-contractors.
- Support HR troubleshooting within the team and assist staff with employment, contractual and professional issues as needed or refer them to other business functions.
- Direct the work of other staff and contract consultants retained to provide particular expertise in project studies, programming, development, design, or management.
- Participate in, or manage the selection, hiring, and development of these individuals.
- Coordinating the logistical arrangements required to successfully deliver the project, including; project office, IT infrastructure, mobilisations, policies and systems required for delivery.
- Overseeing the mobilisation of consultants ensuring compliance with the M-KOPA Travel Policy and Mobilisation Procedures.
- Plan, prepare and communicate schedules and progress records of projects’ activities and expenditures, and assist others in establishing project schedules and milestones.
- Develop critical path or project flow diagrams to plan, set and evaluate progress on project tasks.
- Where necessary, establish systems for efficient management of subcontractor activities.
- Review, analyse, and prepare reports and other correspondence on all activities and transactions related to assigned tasks, and provide timely information and status updates on assigned tasks.
- Prepare and present comprehensive administrative, fiscal, statistical and technical studies, reports, evaluations, specifications and correspondence as required.
• Three (3) to six (6) years’ experience of relevant project management.• Degree in international development, business studies, economics, or related field required, Master’s Degree preferred.Experience & Skills:
• Demonstrable Experience in donor contracting, grants and cost-share.• Knowledge of project management procedures for planning and processing international development projects, and for establishing plans, specifications, monitoring and management of the development projects.• Experienced in computer applications specifically related to capital management, such as MS Project and MS excel.• Skilled in the principles and practices of personnel supervision and management.• Mechanical and electrical engineering qualifications and skills an advantage but not a necessity. • Product management experience an advantage but not a necessaityProven ability to:
• Develop innovative approaches to product research, design and development for low income customers in east Africa.• Keep complex projects on schedule and within budget.• Coordinate and supervise complex international development projects.• Accurately analyse situations and problems relating to complex projects, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of
proposed actions, and implement an effective course of action in accordance with general policy and pertinent codes and regulations.• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of performing assigned responsibilities.• Read and interpret highly complex written material such as technical reports,.• Prepare contract documents for professional services and projects and monitor performance.• Assess plans and design concepts for the most complex projects.• Utilize all commonly used project management software and project record systems.• Supervise and train assigned staff.Required education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 3 yearsRequired skills
: Risk management; Project management; Budgeting, financial planning; Reporting; Quality management; Service Level Agreement (SLA); Project implementation; Conflict management and resolution; Interpersonal relationships building; Selection and assessment of applicantsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)