Job verified by Fuzu
World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Regional Coordinator-East & Southern Africa
Click to apply
- Post-graduate education
- General management, leadership
- Expert (non-managerial)
- Full Time
We offer a collegial, diverse and gender-sensitive working environment, and we encourage applications from qualified women. This position is remunerated on Regional Terms.
Strategic Regional Leadership
• To lead the development and implementation of a regional strategy that responds to local needs and opportunities while furthering ICRAF's global mission.
• To monitor implementation and review/improve the regional strategy as necessary.
• To promote the right conditions for countries in the region to implement agroforestry R&D, development of CRPs and to provide support for ICRAF’s work, through foresight studies.
• To facilitate institutional integration and coherence through regular communication and liaison with CRP Leaders, Theme Leaders, other Regional Coordinators, and all support units (e.g. Research Methods Group, Communications Unit, Impact Assessment and Learning, Capacity Development Unit and Knowledge Management Unit).
• To stimulate and contribute to the production of research outputs, including scientific publications and development innovations.
Representation, Networking and Partnerships
• Develop and maintain regional and host country relations and establish and update collaborative agreements with strategically-chosen partners at regional and country levels.
• Represent the Centre in scientific, diplomatic, training and other fora in the region and countries and sometimes internationally.
• Represent ICRAF in partnerships, coalition, and networks in which ICRAF is a member so as to promote agroforestry thinking and practice in these forums
• To oversee implementation of the communication component of the regional strategy, including but not limited to the leading of synthesis of regional outputs, and direction of the communication of research products.
• Deliver and communicate the regional annual plan of work and budget in collaboration with FSU, CRP focal points, Theme Leaders and regional staff.
• To provide overall supervision, reporting and monitoring, through dashboards and other ICRAF management tools and platforms (including web/internet-based platforms and interactive person-to-person meetings) of regional activities to achieve operational efficiency and effectiveness in the region.
• To supervise Country Leaders and regionally-based project leaders and support CRPs, Theme Leaders, especially on project management and reporting.
• Identify, monitor and report on potential risks within the region and ensure mitigating measures are implemented.
• Ensure that operations activities and processes follow all relevant policies that include but not limited to finance, procurement and human resources.
People Management Responsibilities
• To provide leadership in the recruitment of staff for the region in appropriate consultation with SLT, CRPLs, Theme Leaders, and Country Leaders.
• Provide effective supervision of country staff and support & mentor them for effective delivery of their work.
• Support staff reporting to you with clear job expectations, setting work objectives and providing training/ support where needed.
• On-going contract and performance management of those reporting to you – contract renewals, performance evaluations, mid-year reviews, regular meetings, etc. at individual and team/unit levels.
• Build cooperation, team spirit, a supportive and learning environment within the region.
• Hold regular meetings for updating and planning by the team(s).
• Organize and hold regular trainings and reflection times for the regional staff
o Other Responsibilities
• Take reasonable care of own occupational health and safety and that of others as obliged by ICRAF’s Safety Policy; and cooperate with ICRAF in complying with requirements under any statutory health and safety provisions of relevant Country laws.
• Identify and take action to mitigate potential risks within the work area
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: PermanentJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: General management, leadershipSeniority
: Expert (non-managerial)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 10 yearsRequired skills
: Project implementation; Management of financial resources; People management; Partnerships; Business strategyRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply