Job verified by Fuzu
United Nations Development Programme | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Regional Security Specialist- UN Women
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Expert (non-managerial)
- Full Time
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The primary objective of the UN Women Regional Security Specialist is to advise and assist UN Women Regional (RO), Multi-Country (MCO), Country Offices (CO), Programme Offices and UN-Women Security Field Personnel on their security responsibilities to protect and minimize the risk to UN-Women personnel, property, and operations in the field and at the same time enabling UN-Women programme delivery throughout. Achievement of which will require extensive and regular travel outside of the prescribed duty station in accordance with the agreed Annual Work Plan. Additional travel may be required at the behest of the UN Women Security Advisor or respective Regional Director as required.
Under the direct supervision of the UN Women HQ Security Advisor and the guidance of the Regional Directors in the East and Southern Africa RO and West and Central Africa RO, the position will adopt a portfolio for East and Southern Africa and West and Central Africa (2 regions).
The Regional Security Specialist provides leadership and direction to UN Women Field Security Staff in the implementation of UN and UN Women security policies, procedures and plans for the protection of UN Women personnel and assets and the safe delivery of programmes in the field. The Regional Security Specialist is also responsible for the formulation and review of UN Women security policy, technical content, best practices, security mainstreaming, annual security travel budget, training, UNSMS programme and compliance, and effective administrative support to field security operations as identified in the Security Section annual work plan. The Regional Security Specialist will, as and when required, adopt the role of the UN Women Security Advisor in his/her absence.
Provide technical support, guidance, and advice to the COs/MCOs/ROs:
Oversee security assessments and take necessary action:
- Provide timely and accurate security advice and recommendations to the COs/MCOs/ROs; and approve organizational missions;
- Clarify, interpret, and implement existing UN and UN Women security policy as applicable;
- Oversee security evaluations and provide advice on security measures for the residences (Residential Security Measures - RSM) of UN Women personnel, as well as on latest trends and threats to personnel safety and security;
- Track developing threats and related risks, reviewing the impact of security factors and risk on UN Women personnel, premises, assets, programme design and delivery;
- Provide recommendations regarding effective risk prevention and mitigation measures, including recommendations for possible UN Women support needs and improvements;
- Provide security surge support as required;
- Provide remote security support to identified UN Women personnel, offices, programmes and projects;
- Advise and support UN Women Security Focal points with regard UN Women online security assessments systems.
Liaise with and participate in the local security community:
- Oversee substantive assessment of the security situation at duty stations within AOR and ensure adequate collation and verification of security information;
- Conduct security assessments of UN Women premises and equipment and provide recommendations on risk management.
Collect, update, and communicate security information:
- Liaise and coordinate with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations, UN entities, and other non-State actor;
- Participate as a member of security groups, particularly IASMN Working Groups as directed by the UN Women Global Security Adviser;
- Provide an advisory presence at UN security management meetings such as the country Senior Management Team (SMT), UN Country Team (UNCT), Operations Management Team (OMT) and respective Security Cells;
- Maintain a security network of international and national security personnel;
- Represent UN Women on behalf of the Security Adviser at security meetings, and attends security workshops/training sessions, working groups and conferences as directed.
Develop, maintain, manage and implement the UN Women Security Plan, including updating personnel lists:
- Provide updates and information to HQ in relation to the security intranet portal and documentation;
- Disseminate security information and measures to personnel;
- Disseminate analytical products and outputs of the Section to stakeholders;
- Conduct regular communications with UN Women Security Focal Points;
- Establish and or support a UN Women Warden System/Communication Tree where applicable.
Monitor, manage and implement UN Women compliance of the Security Risk Management Measures (SRMM) established for duty station/s:
- Oversee the development and implementation the UN Women Security Plan in accordance with the UN Security Plan; maintain the plan;
- Manage the preparation and review of the UN Security Plan and provide technical support in its implementation;
- Provide advice and recommendations in the selection and purchasing of security equipment;
- Prepare and submit security clearance/movement of personnel requests as applicable;
- Maintain, coordinates and implements the UN Women Warden System;
- Keep and update information related to UN Women offices and residences including the Global Premises Directory.
Report security incidents affecting UN Women personnel, programmes, offices and assets:
- Compile data required for the SRMM Self-Assessment of the UN Women and UN Security Compliance Survey (SCS) Programme;
- Provide technical support to and advise the UN Women Security Focal Point in the completion and updating of the SCS;
- Provide technical support to and advise the UN Women Security Focal Point in the evaluation and implementation of the UN Women Security Compliance Action Plan (SCAP);
- Provide technical advisory support to the Security Focal Point for the UN Women Security Compliance Enhancement Funding (SCEF);
- Implement SRMM for UN Women personnel, premises and assets, and systems and protocols, in accordance with organizational risk acceptance, ensuring the mainstreaming of security;
- Provide UN Women managers with prescriptive content such as policy, risk management methodology, SRMM and RSM;
- Provide technical support to security compliance input of all UN Women offices within AOR;
- Provide technical support to the Programme team in completing and submitting the UN Women online Programme Assessment format.
Develop and conduct training courses on security awareness, preparedness, mainstreaming, BCP and specialized security functions:
- Collate information and provide inputs to security reports, such as the Security & Safety Incident Reporting System (SSIRS), Security Risk Management (SRM) Assessments and other ad-hoc incident reports;
- Oversee security evaluations and surveys of ROs/MCOs/COs/PPOs;
- Develop accurate and timely written country briefings; add inputs to position papers from a field perspective;
- Provide information to the country UN Security Management System (UNSMS) as required.
Oversee the Budget and Finances:
- Participate in the development and delivery of UNSMS training;
- Develop UN Women specific security training and conduct security training;
- Provide security orientation to newly assigned personnel members and security briefings;
- Provide security mainstreaming sessions as required;
- Provide BCP training sessions as required and under the guidance of the UN Women Business Continuity Manager;
- Coordinate with Human Resources to provide UN Women Representatives and Heads of Offices security briefings;
- Identify, develop and deliver specialized security training under the guidance of the Global Security Adviser.
Perform other security-related tasks including but not limited to:
- Oversee the security annual work plan and related budget; initiate budget revisions for approval;
- Prepare security budgets as well as completion of UN Women SCEF funding requests;
- Provide substantive security inputs to UN Women AWP/SN, programme appraisal bodies, and related budgets;
- Monitor and support allotted UN Women Security Compliance funds to budget and utilize them in a timely manner within ATLAS;
- Monitor that costs and expenditures remain within budget and approved limits through the monitoring of monthly ATLAS budget reports;
- Keep the Global Security Adviser updated on expenditures in the operational budget and follow closely remaining expenditure for re-allocation;
- Oversee budget closures and reports as per HQ processes;
- Ensure that all projects and programmes contribute resources to implementation of security measures.
- Provide Air Travel Focal Point services to UN Women as per ARMO requirements;
- Maintain liaison with commercial companies used for UN Women security at offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of the guard force.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Expert (non-managerial)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 7 yearsRequired skills
: Budgeting, financial planning; Compliance; Risk analysis; Security operations; Security systems monitoring; Project implementationRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply