Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 9 days left to apply for this job.
The ICRC defines Economic Security (Ecosec) as the status of an individual, household or community that is able to cover its life and livelihoods obligatory expenditures in a viable manner, consistent with its environment, culture and customs. Within its global Economic Security approach in conflict affected countries, the ICRC implements Relief, Livelihood and Rehabilitation Programs in order to improve, restore or maintain food and economic security at household level. To achieve this objective, the Economic Security unity uses a combination of different interventions and modalities, such as cash and voucher programs, microeconomic initiatives, agricultural and livestock programs, and relief items distributions.
The Regional Veterinarian / Livestock Specialist for East Africa and the Middle East provides support and guidance within their field of expertise either remotely or in person. S/he develops global policies, tools, guidelines and training modules for the Economic Security Unit’s Livestock programme and contributes to the strategic development of related technical files at regional level and in support to the HQ.
- Monitors and provides regular regional situation analysis to the Regional Management and the EcoSec Unit in relation to field of expertise.
- Liaises with fellow Regional Specialists (both EcoSec and non-EcoSec) for in-depth regional situation analysis.
- Collaborates as necessary with regional peers to develop common projects and objectives to enhance the ICRC’s response to affected populations.
- Engages actively with the relevant communities of practice to continuously share knowledge, literature and information relevant for the community regionally and globally.
- Proposes and develops specific institutional files of interest to the EcoSec Unit, devising a roadmap for action; conducting research; writing briefs, articles and policy papers.
- Designs, organizes and delivers trainings and workshops as required and agreed with GVA counterpart. Provides coaching to specialist staff as required.
- Ensures the integration of new EcoSec strategies in their field of expertise in Delegations, according to priorities and strategies developed by or jointly with the EcoSec Unit. Also ensures that Delegation level strategies are raised to the Unit and integrated into the global EcoSec Strategy and relevant.
- Contributes to and represents the ICRC in Livestock Emergency Guidelines and Standards (LEGS) fora and delivers LEGS trainings as required.
Global Thematic Issues
- Contributes to the development of ICRC/EcoSec strategies and policies in relation to the area of expertise.
- Documents and actively participates in reflections operationalizing issues of institutional importance (in relation to the Institutional Strategy 2019-2022 and beyond).
- Contributes to the development of guidelines, training material and other technical tools in relation to the area of expertise and in support of other EcoSec specialists.
- Contributes to the adaptation and adoption of EcoSec global strategies and policies.
- Contributes to shaping and adapting the worldwide eradication campaign of the Peste des Petits ruminants (PPR) to the Region and concerned countries.
- Supports the Unit in the development of the “One Health” concept in relation to animals, health and the environment.
- Develops and maintains a Regional network of external contacts (private, public, non-governmental) in the field of animal health, and represents the ICRC in relevant working groups, regional meetings and fora.
Operational Support (Field & Desk Support)
- Coaches Delegation livestock specialists and/or the Delegation in developing relevant strategies, plans of action and programme adjustments.
- Provides recommendations to Delegations on context-specific strategies and roadmaps for livestock programs.
- Maintains an overview of regional approaches and programs in area of expertise to ensure exchange of experiences and lessons learnt between Delegations.
- Supports Delegations in programme-level assessments, monitoring and evaluations (including use of relevant tools) in area of expertise.
- Coaches new Livestock Specialists in their Region in ICRC approaches to livestock, including methodologies, standards and guidance applied.
- Provides specific Delegation level capacity building as requested and required by the Delegation.
- Supports EcoSec Departments and Livestock specialists in representing the ICRC with relevant authorities in case of challenging negotiations.
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)